Friday, January 30, 2009

Favorite Thing Friday: Lil' Da Vinci Art Frames

I have not blogged much this week, so today you get a two-for-one.  Both boys and myself have been sick.  We still did the usual activities (groceries Tuesday, playgroup Wednesday, baked cookies Thursday) but I didn't have the energy to photograph or blog about anything.  Hey!  Daddy even did time in the school room with them Thursday evening.

On my favorite blog of all time, Amazing Trips, Jen has been doing "Favorite Thing Friday" posts.  We share many "favorite things," and, thanks to Jen, I have some new favorite things.  At any rate, I love to pass on good ideas to other moms so I thought I would borrow her idea.  The last favorite thing I posted about was our I Spy Phonics Fun Box set.  

Today I received my L'il DaVinci Store & Display Art Cabinet .  I have been wanting this for a year.  I asked for it for my birthday, I asked for it for Christmas.  I finally just ordered it for myself.  These frames open from the front so you do not have to take the frame down and remove the back in order to change the picture.  They also store up to fifty pieces in one frame, but are only about an inch thick.  I installed them myself (because I'm just that kinda girl) in a position of honor.

Family members, if you do not recognize this spot in our house, this is what our kitchen sink area looks like if you remove the dish drainer, the kitchen towels, and the four bibs I usually have hanging from cup hooks to the left of the sink. 

We have lived in our house since 2004 and people occasionally have asked me when I planned on getting around to hanging something over the kitchen sink.  I hate to rush home decorating.  I feel like I waste money on things I'm not all that attached to.  Then, when I find something I'm attached to, I feel like I don't have a place to put it.  So, I'd rather leave a wall blank for five years than throw something up there willy-nilly.  (Do people still say willy-nilly?).  I knew in my heart I needed to save that spot for something special, and once Kal-El started drawing I knew why I had saved it.

This project could not have been completed without some household assistance and I would like to pay tribute.  What does a mother and housewife use to hang picture frames when she realizes the step stools are all in the bedrooms of her sleeping children?  Why, her handy dandy Medela Nursing Stool of course!


And how about when she realizes she left the hammer in the basement?  
Her handy dandy meat tenderizer.

Okay, a little more about the frames is warranted because I have some "hacks" to pass along.  I purchased the 12X18 size because that is the size paper I have three reams of.  There is also an 8.5x11 size.  The 8.5 by 11 can be purchased in a lot more different finishes (I would have loved cherry to match the cabinets).  The 12X18 comes in only black and white.  I have an idea for how to still use the frames if I want to put up the occasional 8.5 by 11.  I thought I would mount a mat with an 8.5 by 11 opening on a piece of poster board and put photo corners in the corners of the opening.  This could be stored right inside the frame.  If they make an 8.5 by 11, then I would open the cabinet, take out the poster board, slip the art into the photo corners, and...voila!

Also, you may be thinking (as my husband has pointed out repeatedly) "what is she going to do if they start drawing on the paper horizontally instead of vertically?"  I could have puzzled out how to also hang an extra set of screws for each frame behind the current set so that I could turn the frames horizontally if I wanted.  They do fit nicely.  However, my evil plan is to get two more frames sometime in the future.  Then, I would reorient the frames above the sink to hold horizontal art.  I have this corner of the kitchen in mind for two hung vertically one over the other:


I'll start my campaign to receive two more for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, my birthday, Christmas, or Arbor Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment