Monday, January 26, 2009

Pink Tower Extensions

Here is some more information on the Pink Tower extensions that I made.  

I saw these for $20 somewhere online, but did not want to spend that much money on four pieces of card stock with pink squares printed on them.  Instead, I took a half an hour and measured out the all the pieces of the pink tower four times onto some pink construction paper.  This was easy to do because they are very mathematical.  There are 10 cubes ranging in size from 10 cm to 1 cm. Then, I cut them out and rubber cemented them in the patterns I wanted onto 12x18 drawing paper (80 lb).  Finally, I "laminated" them using clear contact paper because my laminator can only handle 8 1/2 by 11.  


Here are pictures of our four patterns in case you want to do this yourself:

This one seemed to be the easiest, we called it "the Caterpillar"



This seemed to of medium difficulty, we called it "Bunny Ears."



Another medium difficulty extension we called "the Scorpion."



This one was the most difficult, we called it "the Crab."


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I was deciding whether to buy these when my pink tower comes (one of the items I am still waiting for) since they are too big to print. Seeing your post was a "duh, easy to make" moment.

    BTW, I just discovered your site yesterday and really like it. Thanks for putting me in your sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post about your son doing his Pink Tower extensions. Like how you have nicknamed them, too. I should really make some extension cards for ours as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great activity. I think I'll make it (by myself), too. Thanks for sharing. Children in my classroom LOVES pink tower activity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have different pink tower extension cards and brown stair extension cards. These help with sorting and seriation by the way..

    Your oldest son is big enough for another extension. Pinpricicking. You can trace the sizes of the pink cubes and have him punch them out using a oversized pushpin against a felt pad. Then he can make a pink tower. (This is how you can "make" geography maps as well)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the info Tracy!

    I just made my pink/brown extensions and cards. I think one of my more recent posts has pix of him doing some. I've written a post about them, but haven't posted it yet.

    I hadn't heard of pinpricking the tower before, I did know about the maps. I have a felt pad and the pin in my supply closet, but have been unconvinced that he has stamina to actually complete the task. He completely bailed on our first game of "chutes and ladders" today. He lasted until about square 31, no way was he going to make it to 100. He said "I'm done playing this now."

    I suppose I won't know until I try, if is engaged in the task I'm sure he would finish it. It's just the type of thing he seems to lose interest in quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow! I just did something similiar today only I did not put them on a white cardstock. And, of course, since I was in such a hurry I haven't laminated them. I'll be linking back to your site anyway when I post it over my blog as I will borrow the patterns.
    THANKS so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny, I'm browsing through old posts of yours, and stumbled on this. I did this for my knobless cylinder extensions with construction paper circles of the right sizes but I just leave them loose in the box and she comes up with her own extensions to do by laying the circles out in her own patterns. I think I will make pink squares for her to do the same and also for me to lay out in your patterns. Thanks.

    http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes!! I knew I saw this somewhere online I couldn't remember for the life of me I'll add your link to my last pt post:))

    ReplyDelete