Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Blog Roll Updates

The circling shark has been tamed (for now). I realized this week that I had around 100 blogs in my reader and they were not all being reflected in the blog roll. I combed through everything, added many blogs to the lists, and re-categorized them.

Before I get into the nitty gritty of how the blog roll is organized, let me take this opportunity pass on the following nuggets of information to those of you who have your own blogs:

1. If you are writing about any kind of "schooling," your readers are going to want to know the approximate ages of your kids (we're talking ballpark here, no need to post their birth certificate. I know all about the government spies). If you have a blog check right now and see if you can't put that information someplace a new reader can find it quickly without combing through the whole thing.

2. Speaking of combing through the whole thing...if you have a blog check right now and make sure that your archives are added to your sidebar. On Blogger you do this by adding it as a gadget. New readers will almost always want to read your first post because it tells us what the blog is about and explains your general philosophy and reasons for blogging. If your archives aren't activated the only way we can find this is by repeatedly scrolling to the bottom of the page and clicking "older posts." This can take a good 20 minutes. Some super friendly bloggers both activate their archives and provide a sidebar link to their first post.

Okay...back to the blog rolls:

Everything that I know of is included at this point except for blogs I think of as "Montessori Lite" (blogs that refer to Montessori activities or to using the Montessori philosophy but rarely post about it). If you are the author of or know of a Montessori blog that is not included please e-mail me and I will review it and see if I feel it should be added to the list. Also let me know if I have mis-categorized your blog or someone else's.

I created quite a few new blog categories. The current category list is as follows:

  • Montessori Homeschool: Infant/Toddler 0-3
  • Montessori Homeschool: Primary 0-6
  • Montessori Homeschool: Elementary 6-9
  • Montessori Homeschool: Upper Elementary 9-12
  • Montessori Homeschool: Adolescent 12-18
  • Montessori Classroom: Infant/Toddler 0-3
  • Montessori Classroom: Primary 3-6
  • Montessori Classroom: Elementary 6-9
  • Montessori Classroom: Upper Elementary 9-12
  • Montessori Classroom: Adolescent 12-18 yrs
  • Montessori and Special Needs Children
  • General Montessori
  • Montessori Teachers in Training
  • Montessori Homeschools run by Trained Teachers
  • Montessori Trained Teachers who don't Homeschool: home activities
  • Godly Play Bloggers
  • Other Homeschooling Blogs
  • Other Blogs I Just Like

I assume that readers who have a child in a particular age range may be interested in blogs that have children the same ages. I thought it would make it easiest to find them all if blogs that covered several age groups were listed in each age category. So, if a blog belonged in more than one category, I generally put them in both categories. This means that some blogs are listed several times. This happened most often in the case of large homeschooling families who may have children ranging in age from 0-18.

I made an exception to this rule in the Montessori Homeschool infant/toddler and primary categories. I only listed a blog in the infant/toddler category if that blog was exclusively about children between the ages of 0-3. Montessori Primary is by far the largest category and most of those blogs (like mine) have one or more children under the age of three. I thought it would overwhelming/confusing to also list them in the 0-3 category so I chose not to. Instead, I labelled that category 0-6. That is why there is overlap in those age categories.

Perhaps someday soon I'll figure out how to give you floating blog blurbs. In the meantime, I hope this blog provides a good place for Montessori families to find other Montessori families.

10 comments:

  1. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Ruth

    http://ramupgrade.info

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, thank you! One, for having me on your list :) and secondly - for actually doing this so well! This is the sort of thing I would daydream about doing in the bath... if I actually had the time to take long soak that is! ;)

    Congratulations, & you've already introduced me to some great new sites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber, Richmond,

    Thank you for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are so organized! Thank you for taking the time to categorize your blog roll. Your list has been very useful in helping me quickly find some great blogs. Also, thanks for having my blog on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to tell you that I was thinking how i needed to find some Montessori Blogs for infants now that I am having a baby and the first thing I thought about was going to your blog to find one on your super organized blog roll!!

    I keep thinking that some day soon I will organize my blog roll also!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic list!! Thank you!!

    We just started montessori homeschooling (1 and 3 year old, and have a 6 year old in a montessori school--we plan on homeschooling the younger two all the way through though). If you want to check out my blog, it's http://barefootinsuburbia.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi MBT! You have a wonderful blog. I'm pretty sure I wrote a post about this before but for some reason can't find it. I'm homeschooling my 2 boys -3 and 8 yo) using the Montessori method as well. You can visit my blog at http://2pequenostraviesos.blogspot.com
    Thanks for sharing all the info here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being new to Montessori but instantly passionate about it this blog list has been a lifeline for me! I was so 'how to...' and 'what to...' but am feeling more confident in creating activities for my two little people having taken time to see what everyone else out there can do. It's so encouraging. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a very useful list! Thanks to work on it and to share! I'm a teacher that I've used some Montessori methods when I worked in the school before doing homeschooling with my sons! I like your blog and the way you teach and educate your sons!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an Awesome List!! Thank you so much for doing this, you were very detailed.

    ReplyDelete