Sunday, September 13, 2009

Field Trip


This weekend we went to the local quarry. The boys had the opportunity to get up-close, ride, explore, and even operate giant construction equipment, fire engines and military vehicles.


After we all stood in line to operate the backhoe for twenty minutes, Kal-El decided he was too scared to go up there.




It does look a little scary, doesn't it? Me Too wasn't scared and lead the way. He beeped the horn and waved, but otherwise took his job very seriously.


Kal-El decided that it would be better to take a turn rather than be upstaged by his little brother.


Evidently boys of all ages enjoy throwing rocks at hubcaps.

My husband would like it to be known that he pegged a hubcap eight times. Kal-el was proud just to get the rocks he threw over the tall pile in front of him. Me Too was proud just to throw rocks.


It was a little boys' paradise...rocks, dirt, dust, a chance to spray a house with a fire hose, or wear real firefighter clothes. You could spread mortar on stone and help build a wall, ride a scissor lift, build trucks out of wood, barrel through the quarry on a giant dump truck, paint rocks, whatever you had the energy to do!

We really needed baths when we got home. We had the dubious honor of being right next to a flight for life helicopter when it landed in the quarry (as an attraction, no one was hurt). My first thought was: "surely that helicopter coming right at us isn't going to land in the middle of the quarry in a clump of about 100 people, that would be way too dusty." My second thought was: "Nope, it's landing. It must not kick up dust. How cool is this that the boys (obsessed with helicopters) are going to be right next to it when it lands?" My third thought was: "#@$#@! I was right the first time....RUN!" My husband and I had that third thought at the exact same time, each grabbed a kid and headed for the hills. The dust cloud looked like a tornado and moved surprisingly slowly. I had Me Too in my arms and he was extremely irritated the whole time I was running. He kept pointing back at the helicopter yelling that I was going the wrong way and should go back. We managed to duck behind a nearby ambulance several seconds before the cloud reached it and watched it make the air opaque on both side of us. We all had a fair amount of dust in our eyes and under all of our clothes. Needless to say, we didn't get any pictures of the helicopter.

2 comments:

  1. Great report on what sounds like a dream day for lots of boys and girls.

    Whoever thought of this kudos to them for a brilliant idea! I'll bet it was a dad or mom who noticed how interested children are in these big machines.

    Momster

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a FABULOUS field trip. I wish I had one near me!

    ReplyDelete