Sunday, September 20, 2009

One on One

This weekend I want to spend some time one-on-one with each child in the school room. I didn't get to Kal-El (as predicted), but I did get to spend some time with Me Too.

My husband took Kal-El to the farmer's market on Saturday morning to pick up our CSA vegetables and they stayed to have lunch. I wanted to give Me Too some distraction-free presentations on the following:

  • color box 1
  • geometric cabinet
  • pink tower (again)
  • clothespins
  • possibly sandpaper letters
  • spooning

Me Too really enjoyed the drawers of the geometric cabinet. He keeps sneaking into them and working with them like puzzles. I finally took the time to give a proper presentation and taught him to feel the edges of the shapes and insets. Here he is feeling the circle drawer:

He flat out refused to make pairs with the color tablets. He did make a tower with them. Grrr.

Me Too watched my spooning presentation with great impatience and then gave up on it after a few spoonfuls. On the other hand, he loved having his own bucket of clothes pins just like Kal-El!


I worked with the pink tower by myself (That's okay, I needed the practice. Right.) I did trick him into doing it properly once by making him put it away on the stand for me before I would read him a book. I am putting brown stair/pink tower extensions out for Kal-El later this week. I hope that seeing his brother work with the materials will ignite some interest. Where's this "sensitive period" I keep hearing about?

We didn't spend more than 30 minutes in the school room before he threw himself on the floor and had a full-fledged meltdown because I wouldn't take books down off of the upper shelves and read those instead. I think this confirms that the children's books cannot be stored in the school room.

No comments:

Post a Comment