Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Library Day

Today we took a long-overdue to the library. I have been selfishly going in the evenings when I can go alone. I think it has been months since the boys set foot in the local library.

I was so incredibly proud of them today! As soon as I parked the car Me Too said "we have to be quiet." He chanted it all the way to the door. I can't remember the last time he was at the library, so I was impressed that the simple sight of the building brought that memory on. They whispered in the lobby, they whispered in the bathrooms, they followed me around uncomplaining while I picked up my reserve item (Hainstock's Montessori in the Home: The School Years) and picked out some Philippa Gregory for myself, they whispered the whole time they were in the children's section, they were nice to all other children, they cheerfully left when I told them it was time to go. The other moms were in total awe of my exemplary children. I suppose this means tomorrow they are going to finger paint their bedroom walls with one of Me Too's dirty diapers.

At any rate, it is such a relief when I can see some of the never-ending training come to fruition.

When we arrived in the children's section I was surprised to see they had removed their train table. That turns out to have been a very good idea. The boys were initially disappointed, but I was thrilled when they actually chose books from the board book section and actually sat down in child-sized chairs to read them. That train table had not only been the impetus for many poor examples of library behavior we have witnessed from other children (and a couple from my own, I always ask them to apologize to the librarian when they are too loud) but it has been the reason the boys have to date failed to actually read any books while at the library. Those lovely child-sized chairs have been sitting abandoned every time we have visited and today they were finally in demand. Kudos to the librarians! In fact, I just stopped typing to call them and tell them this. They deserve a happy phone call once in a while.

We picked out some great books. One of the absolute winners has to be Who Said Boo?: Halloween Poems for the Very Young.



This is a great book for toddlers and preschoolers. If you are working on rhyming words, there is a lot of that. (Did Mama say Boo? No, mama said Shoe. Did Baby say Boo? No, Baby said Coo.) There is a lot of onomatopoeia to make it fun. It provides opportunities to search for things, opportunities to count, etc., I was caught off guard the other day when I saw "poetry" on my skills list and in Montessori Read and Write as something I was supposed to be doing with the boys. Poetry? Already? Ack! I have been on the lookout ever since for some things besides Dr. Seuss and Mother Goose that might be appropriate.

As always, the library had a stack of old books that they are replacing for sale for 25 cents. It looks like they cleaned out their spiders and bugs shelf this week. There must have been 50 books about spiders and bugs up there. I came home with:

Insect (DK Eyewitness Books)
Amphibian (DK Eyewitness Books)
Simon & Schuster Children's Guide to Insects and Spiders
The Life Cycle of a Spider
The Life Cycle of a Ladybird

These are mostly a little ahead of the boys' ages, but I remembered at least the DK Eyewitness Books and the Simon & Schuster being mentioned somewhere in The Well-Trained Mind. I wish there was a way to carry a consolidated version of the book recommendations around with me so I should shop better at the library sales.

In other "library" news, I am still waiting for my label protectors to some from Demco. It occurred to me that there was way too many books in piles on my living room floor and that most of them are going to wind up shelved alphabetically by author anyway. I took the sixty gallons of books to the school room and alphabetized them on the shelf. This got them up off the floor, should make labeling easier anyway, and gave me a better idea of what should be stored where and why.

Home of:
The Ultimate Montessori Blog List
The Ultimate Montessori Search Box
The Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration

No comments:

Post a Comment