Monday, November 9, 2009

Kal-El and Me Too's Grand Day Out

We had a 10 a.m. appointment today for an oil change at our car dealership 30 minutes away. I love that place because they have a great playroom.

Me Too sleeps until about 9 a.m., so as soon as he was up we got ready to go and brought our breakfast in the car to eat on the way. The boys played in a lovely glass-walled playroom while I sat outside of it in a comfy chair reading a book on homeschooling (I'm so predictable).

When the car was done we paid our bill, strapped in, I turned the key and a service message popped up on the dash that said our back lights were out. We pulled the car back into service and they replaced the bulbs...gratis! When they were done I turned the key to start up the car and....nothing happened.

The battery was apparently original to the car and seven years old. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think this is pretty good for a battery that normally lasts five years. So, we sat in the car for a little while longer while they switched our old battery for a new one. I won't know until I talk to my husband how much we were robbed for the cost of the battery ($130), but they didn't charge us any labor. I laughed when the gentleman asked if I would like to buy the new battery and have it changed right now. What were my other choices exactly? The battery couldn't have picked a much more convenient time or place to take its last breath.

Despite all that, we had a pretty good day. I took the boys into the service area and we saw all the cars up on lifts and watched the mechanics. One of them let Kal-El look up under a car with a flashlight. There was free hot chocolate, coffee and doughnuts. The bathroom (which Kal-El needed twice) was right next to the playroom. I could have enjoyed free cable and wireless had I been so inclined. And they washed the car for us. Bonus.

However, we didn't get out of there until after 12:00. So the boys just went down for naps a few minutes ago, and it is after 3:00 here! It is a beautiful day so I felt compelled to stop at the playground on the way home. We ate lunch and played. The park restrooms were closed and I really had to go so we walked over to the local arts center adjacent to the park. They have gorgeous bathrooms. Wow. They also have amazing art on the walls and sculptures everywhere. We spent a long time walking around looking at all the art and talking about it.

We were there so late that a couple kids who go to morning kindergarten/preschool were done with lunch and arrived at the park. Kal-El had a blast playing with another little boy just his age who was dressed as a police officer (a great ice-breaker). The little boy showed him how to complete climbing on some difficult equipment he had given up on earlier. Afterwards, Kal-El was able to do it himself and was extremely proud.

I am not going to have time to finish writing my LibraryThing post as promised, but will work on that tomorrow instead.

Home of:
The Ultimate Montessori Blog List
The Ultimate Montessori Search Box
The Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a great day. Better to have everything go to pot while you are at the service center instead of on the way home!

    Momster

    ReplyDelete