I finished Dewey labeling the boys books through the end of the alphabet. I still have one box of "weird" books that I wasn't sure where to shelve originally. I know where to put them now. I'm glad I decided to put them aside and worry about it after I had labeled the others. The process of labelingthe others made matters much clearer.
One major error I made is not reversible at this point. If I could do it all over I would NOT label my children's fiction with "E" followed by first three letters of the last name. (For example, Byron Barton's "Boats" would be "E BAR.") Kal-El watched me label and shelve many of the books. He asked a lot of questions and then asked if I could do the labeling and he could put them away. He should be able to do this because he understands "alphabetical order" and he knows the letters. We ran into a problem because every label now begins with "E." If I could do it over I would just label the fiction children's books with the first three letters of the author's last name (i.e. "BAR"). I think this would have given the boys more independence. (And no, he can't put them in "exactly" the right spot, but he could get the "A's" with the "A's" and the "B's" with the "B's").
I have been working really hard this week on my Africa boxes for the continent swap I am participating in. I have to make seven little African children dolls yet. However, I have accumulated all of the necessary photos and uploaded them to Snapfish. I completed a "day in the life" book with a timeline for a child's typical weekday. I also found recipes, coins, and stamps and put together photos and information regarding religion, landscapes, children at play, dwellings, etc., and did a photo story of a wedding celebration. I'm pretty much the only person who doesn't actually live on the continent they are covering. This is a bit of a problem because the goal of the swap is for the information to be personal. Fortunately, I dug up a bunch of photos of my husband's trip to Egypt (although Egypt is not the first country I think of when I think of "Africa"). Out of guilt I also put together a small photo diary of the boys' lives here on our actual continent, North America.
I promise to do a major unveiling of the boxes when the swap is complete. I probably shouldn't be procrastinating on the dolls themselves, as they will be the hardest part. Our local museum has a special exhibit of "dolls from around the world" that I plan to visit for inspiration. I am playing around with the idea of mounting what is supposed to be a "paper doll" on foam board and dressing it in actual fabric but might just making things harder for myself than necessary.