Tuesday, December 1, 2009

How NOT to Make Your Own Spinny Speller

I am sooooo cursed with DIY projects. Grrr. Arrrgh.

So, I am following the instructions here on how to make your own Spinny Speller to go into goodie bags for Kal-El's upcoming party.

Basically, you are supposed to drill holes through 1 inch wooden cubes with a 5/16th bit and spin them on a 1/4 inch dowel.

Problems I am having:

  • I have split my skin open in two places trying to hold the cube steady to get the 5/16th bit through. I would just clamp them (tedious) but the 5/16th bit is shredding my cubes when it does go through. The 1/4 inch bit is going through like butter, not a problem.
  • Even if I can get the bit to go into the front side dead-center, without drifting, it is not coming out the back dead-centered.
  • Per the directions, I cut the dowels to 4 and 1/2 inches. I think the dowel needs to be closer to 3 and 2/3 inches, not 4 and 1/2. I am supposed to have 3 1-inch cubes spinning on the dowel, and drill 1/3 of the way into each of the 1-inch cubes on the ends. That adds up to 3 and 2/3. I can understand there should be a little "play" in this, but 4 and 1/2 is way too long.
  • So, since all of my dowels are now cut to the wrong length, I guess it isn't a big deal that I think I need to go buy new dowels anyway. I think I need to drill the holes with my 1/4 bit, buy the dowel one size smaller, and cut the dowels to a shorter size.
I can tell you one thing, I am not going to have ten of these done in time to host playgroup tomorrow.

I would take pictures and show you how awful my Spinny Speller looks on the too-long dowel with the crooked holes, but I'm just too depressed.

1 comment:

  1. I made a spinny speller using fimo. It was dead easy and very quick. Fimo is kind of plsticine that you cook and it goes hard.
    Mine were white with the letters red/blue to match the movable alphabet, and I used wooden kebab sticks for the dowel bit. I stuck beads on the ends with superglue to stop the cubes from falling off.

    You might have time to make them!

    Have a lovely party whatever happens.

    ReplyDelete