Thursday, February 25, 2010

We Have a Reader!


We don't get into the school room every day. For this reason, I will sometimes choose a material that is either being neglected or needs daily work and give it a place of honor outside the school room for a period of time. The moveable alphabet has had this honor for the last two weeks...partly because it needs daily work, partly because I am putzing with the box several times a day.

Kal-El has been turned off by this material due to the difficulty he has finding the constantly jumbled letters. However, he is always very interested in things that Mommy likes to do (washing windows, doing dishes, putting on makeup, tweezing eyebrows, whatever). One of my teaching tricks is to work with certain materials myself on a regular basis to inspire interest.

Yesterday afternoon I worked with the moveable alphabet near where Kal-El was playing with his blocks. I had three words out on the rug when he approached and stood behind me to see what I had out. He said "/d/ /o/ /g/ dog. Mommy, you wrote dog! /c/ /a/ /t/ Cat! /h/ /u/ /g/." He proceeded to sound out the next ten words I put out on the mat correctly.

When he was finished, he turned to me and exclaimed "I didn't know I could do that!"

I am always super proud of him, but I am extra proud of this particular milestone. Way to go Kal-El!

*disclaimer: The moveable alphabet is a writing tool. One is not supposed to ask the child to read them back. As discussed in my post on the Homfray video, it is okay (perhaps important) to sound out the words the child has written after they are finished working, before they put it away. When the child does spontaneously start to read back some of the words it is definitely a sign that it is time to start the pink series.

Home of:
The Ultimate Montessori Blog List
The Ultimate Montessori Search Box
The Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration

11 comments:

  1. Wow! That's so great!!

    I'm curious -- how often do you get into the schoolroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is exiting! The magical journey of reading has begun. It is truly an amazing experience watching kids learn to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle is proud. His mom's hard work sure paid off there. Good work sis and nephew!!!

    Uncle A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to Kal-el (and you too, of course!) I just posted about a child saying the same thing to me the other day :)It's such a great feeling when things come together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exciting moment! Congratulations to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen,

    We aim for three times a week. Sometimes we surprise ourselves and hit four. However, just as often we are only in there twice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. Montessori,

    That explains the overwhelming deja vu I had when he said it. I wonder how often that sentence is uttered in Montessori classrooms worldwide at that moment?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a big milestone! So proud:)

    Momster

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congats! It's so nice when reading just happens....better break of the BOB books :)

    ReplyDelete