Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Matter Tray

Yesterday I gave the boys a presentation on the "matter tray."



We learned the words "matter," "solid," "liquid," and "gas." Kal-El was very pleased that he could sound out the "solid" and "gas" labels himself and spent a lot of time removing the examples from the tray, mixing them up, and then replacing them in the correct section.

What is it about boys that makes them more interested in trying to mix the three types of matter together than enjoying them on their own? He kept putting the "solid" into the "gas," pulling it out and declaring "Oh no! It has gas all over it!" He really wanted to put the rock into the jar of water but I asked him not to. I told him that then his solid would have liquid all over it and wouldn't fit in "just" the solid or liquid compartment properly. I told him this might confuse Me Too.

Later, when I dumped the pot of boiling water and spaghetti noodles into the strainer in the sink he was excited to see all forms of matter at once (liquid-water, solid-noodles, gas-steam). But not as excited as he was when Me Too "passed gas" during the matter tray presentation. Boys.

Home of:
The Ultimate Montessori Blog List
The Ultimate Montessori Search Box
The Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I have been stocking your blog for about 2 weeks now, so I thought I should say hi! I have been homeschooling my 2 boys 5 and 1 yr since birth and just started Montessori, like this week! We just did out first science lesson on taking apart a flashlight and I was reading the presentaion on Matter today! I cant wait to get going on it! Your boys are adorable and I look forward to watching them grow and learn! I hope my blog is as informative as yours someday! Thanks for sharing!
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. OO that's a great idea, we will do that.

    ReplyDelete