Monday, April 12, 2010

DIY Spindle Box


I have been putting off doing this project for a while, mostly because I couldn't decide on boxes. However, when I saw the photo boxes on sale for $1.50 each at Michael's this weekend, I decided to just "go for it." If you are still looking for colored continent boxes, Michael's will have all of the colors you need and $1.50 is as cheap as they get. I think the lids will be an added bonus for dust and storage.

The dividers are cut from a piece of 3-inch wide balsa wood that I cut with a utility knife (no husband or power tool necessary) and glued in place with my glue gun.

The numbers are left over from a pack of numbers we bought when we bought a new mailbox. The "spindles" are from an economy box of popsicle sticks I keep in the shed for labeling plants.

The elastic bands and spindles will be stored in a small "watch box" type of box when not in use.


Home of:
The Ultimate Montessori Blog List
The Ultimate Montessori Search Box
The Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration

4 comments:

  1. Ah! Love it! I've been trying to think how to make this where it would not take too much room. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super job!! I like it!!! like Eve says COOL IDEA!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing great examples of inexpensive spindle boxes! This is a material I would definitely choose as a DIY project for homeschool. I featured your post and photo in my DIY Spindle Boxes post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/09/03/montessori-monday-diy-spindle-boxes/

    ReplyDelete