All of our new materials arrived last week! (Almost.) It was a lot of work to pull everything out and inspect it. Yikes. However, I have learned from experience that I have to or risk finding out six months later that something doesn't work the way it should or is missing pieces. This meant I had to not only unwrap, but complete things like the hundreds board, Pythagoras board, Pythagoras table, and count hundreds of bead bars. I really wish I could have left the bead cabinet in its box because our house is for sale and we don't need it right away. We haven't even started the limited bead materials yet, it might be a year before we need all of the bead chains, cubes and squares available. However, I had to assemble it now to be sure that we had all of the pieces and that it assembled properly. Fortunately, I had a lot of help. Kal-El worked with me the entire two hours it took to put the cabinet together.
First, I opened the box and removed as much loose styrofoam as I could. Then, Kal-El vacuumed most of the little styrofoam fuzzies out. Next, he was responsible for unwrapping each of the 19 pieces of wood (individually wrapped in paper), as well as finding the bags of hardware and the instructions.
He looks just like his Bumpa (my Dad) in this picture. Kal-El insisted that we both wear hard hats for safety.
After the pieces were unwrapped, they had to be vacuumed again because most of them still had styrofoam junk all over them.
Kal-El's favorite part was laying out the pieces. I was a little worried at this point because the the pieces were not labeled. Also, the instructions told me what order in which to do the assembly but did not describe the appearance of the pieces or provide a diagram that showed any differences. So I'm looking at 19 pieces of wood and the instructions say "put the first back piece into the bottom support." Hmmmm. It was a bit of puzzle, but if Me Too can do the binomial cube I could master this!
Once I figured out what the nine shelf pieces looked like I asked Kal-El to build a "stair" out of them and bring them to me in order using the appropriate sensorial vocabulary.
Next, it was time for Kal-El to review using the allen wrench! The last time I remember using one of these with him was when he helped me build Me Too's kitchen chair.
We had to take a little break about halfway through the assembly process...I was tired! I poured us each a drink. I took mine to the couch, lay my head back, put my feet up on the coffee table and said "ahhhhhh!" I don't usually allow drinks in the family room, but told Kal-El it was a special treat. He climbed up on the couch, lay his head back, put his feet up on coffee table and said "ahhhh!"
Finally we finished! Tada!
I never imagined it would be so big!
While I am thinking of it...a materials order update. I ordered all on the same day from three companies: Adena, I-Fit, and Montessori Outlet. I received all three orders on the same day (I think I ordered on a Thursday and received everything the following Wednesday...less than a week later). I had the least communication from Montessori Outlet of all places. In fact, today they finally sent me an e-mail which stated that my order status had been changed from "pending" to "shipped." (No kidding, like I said, I received the materials last week.)
I-Fit: Everything was in good condition and accounted for.
Montessori Outlet: Everything accounted for. I am really glad I used them for my fraction circles because those are the type of thing that have to be precise. I am very disappointed in the quality of the Pythagoras Table. The "plastic tiles" are so thin I thought they were card stock at first. They do not lay flat. Also, not their fault, but the small black movable alphabet I bought to use with my red/blue one from Adena is much smaller than the movable alphabet from Adena. I will need to order a medium one which still won't match, but will be close enough.
Adena: For the first time ever everything that arrived had all of its pieces and was in perfect condition. Of course, being Adena, they could never live with themselves if they got it all right the first time. I ordered the "complete bead materials with cabinet." They sent the cabinet, but no bead materials. I contacted them Friday and received a reply today stating that they would ship in the next 3-4 days.
Home of:The Ultimate Montessori Blog ListThe Ultimate Montessori Search BoxThe Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration