Friday, November 5, 2010

Escrow

In just a few days, if everything goes smoothly (and it hasn't been), we will be moving from this...


to this...


From this kitchen...



to this kitchen...



And, losing 600 square feet in the process.

We will be gaining several things in the move that I am much more excited about than that 1970's kitchen. They include, among other things: a more child-friendly neighborhood, a park steps from our front door, a "zero-maintenance" exterior and property (like that exists), a shorter commute for my husband, more time for my husband to spend with the kids due to that shorter commute, and less to clean. Our upcoming move is the end result of a lot of evaluation of what we "want" versus what we "need"... something I wish our government would take a harder look at before they do things like print currency like it's Monopoly money. Hopefully the lower mortgage and energy costs can be saved for retirement rather than grabbed by the grubby hands of government or eaten up by hyperinflation.

We are in a full-on scramble over here. Our timeline was something like four weeks from offer to close and we didn't want to count our chickens until about a week ago when we were past home inspection and appraisal...about the same day that we found our potential new home only 2.5 weeks before we are due to be out of this one. Until then, we had nowhere to live and were having no luck finding a rental and were not even sure we were moving. Now, we are excited to be selling and buying a home all in one day. The bank is scrambling to process the loan on time (keep your fingers crossed) and I am scrambling to PACK. Ever the pessimist, I was afraid to start packing before our sale had passed all of the hurdles that can trip up a home sale. Fortunately I have been thinning out our possessions for almost a year. However, we didn't know we were going to actually buy a smaller house so I think I'm going to have to do it all over again once we get where we are going. As I am putting things in boxes I keep thinking "where am I going to put all this?" I was inspired by Jen's post over at Amazing Trips today and I think it is going to be okay.

Please pray for us that everything goes smoothly. And, if they do, don't be surprised if some of my future posts involve paint brushes, router tables and brad nailers.

Home of:The Ultimate Montessori Blog ListThe Ultimate Montessori Search BoxThe Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration

7 comments:

  1. All of this seems really good for you, especially the shorter commute for your husband and less cleaning for you! I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be very proud of you and your husbands decision. I can see how it would be hard to leave such a beautiful and spacious home. We live in an 1100 square foot home with our four daughters. It can be a challenge, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a similar situation in leaving Costa Rica. I miss my kitchen (big and spacious like the one you are leaving) tremendously. I now have 1 foot of counter space for cooking. But we now have access to parks and playgrounds and classes that we didn't have in Costa Rica. I will be praying for your move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to all. REALLY appreciate the kind words, well-wishes and prayers! Also, thank you for the reminders that my online friends are leading inspirational lives in smaller spaces as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you that things will go smoothly in your moving trip and unpacking. or at least that you can see the bright side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Congratulations on selling your house and on finding a new one on time. It must be heartbreaking to leave that house, but it sounds like you have more important priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We downsized a year ago. Went from 3500sft to 1200sft. but like you mentioned, the neighborhood is more kid friendly and our yard is way bigger =)
    I do miss my huge kitchen and extra bathrooms though {we only have one now}

    ReplyDelete