Monday, December 6, 2010

Godly Play at Home

I was reading some Godly Play posts over at another blog I enjoy today and it occurred to me that I haven't been keeping anyone up to date on what we are doing with Godly Play.


My Mother-in-Law made this beautiful, kid-friendly fabric nativity set for the boys to explore. The kit is discontinued, but I know my mother and a friend of hers recently purchased discontinued sets to make online (Ebay, Etsy, etc.,).


I used the set to give one of the Advent presentations from Godly Play and now the boys use it nearly every day and reenact the story on their own.

You may remember that I searched long and hard to find a program in our area at a Church that might be a good permanent church home for me and my husband. Unfortunately, it wasn't a good fit. We found a church that was a good fit, but alas...no Godly Play. In the meantime the boys and I have been participating in BSF's study of Isaiah. They have an excellent Children's program. I have been implementing bits and pieces of the Godly Play program at home. I will make an effort to post about those activities. I tend not to take pictures during that time and no pictures tends to lead to no posts.

I am very excited that the author of Life in a Pink House has been posting about her Godly Play activities. She just recently decided to start a second blog to serve as home to just her Montessori posts: Life in the Pink Tower. You can find her Godly Play posts there. Enjoy!

EDITED TO ADD:

I was just catching up on some blog reading and noticed that there is a post about Godly Play at Living Montessori Now which provides some nice links to posts written by other moms using Godly Play at home.




Home of:The Ultimate Montessori Blog ListThe Ultimate Montessori Search BoxThe Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration

7 comments:

  1. So interesting. Now I want to learn more about godly play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! I remember my grandmother had a fabric nativity set (probably this exact same one) that we were always excited to play with at her house. Many pieces were missing though, I only remember Mary, a Wise Man, and a camel.

    I would be very interested to hear about your Godly Play time. I need to get a book or two and start reading up on it. Now, off to the Pink House to check out her posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, that *is* a gorgeous Nativity Set!

    Thanks for the link to the Pink Tower blog...I always love seeing new resources!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear the church didn't fit for you and your husband. I'm chugging along as a Godly Play teacher at our church this year. I'm LOVING IT! I am so fulfilled watching the children absorb it all. We're in the Advent part of the curriculum now, and getting ready for a Las Posadas Christmas program this month. (My first experience with it.) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee thanks for the link! I am loving Godly Play. We are fortunate enough to live close to a church who has a wonderful program-but I love our church so much we do not attend. I have been tempted though. My hope is to help our church incorporate G.P. into Sunday mornings. Until then I plan to keep using it in small group format in our home.
    We also have the cloth nativity. I hope you are getting settled in your new home and have time to post more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished making this nativity set for a grandchild. The fabric panel is a VIP screen print by Cranston Print Works. One just sold for a bit over $3 on ebay so you can still run across one from time to time.

    Momster

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect timing on the post! We do BSF too and a friend from there (who also homeschools) was over for fellowship saw my Montessori books and was thrilled! She had all sorts of resources, and one of them was godly play. We're in a church plant and I hope to start godly play with the kids there. This seems like further prodding to do so! Thanks for the resources.

    ReplyDelete