Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Run, run, as fast as you can...

"Run, run, as fast as you can. You can't catch me I'm the Gingerbread Man."

I am always singing this little song and it mystifies my husband. He says, "What IS that song. That is not a real song. Nobody knows that song. Where do you get these songs?"

The boys are sitting at the kitchen table eating gingerbread men right now in the typical "boy" way. In other words, they are making the gingerbread men protest in a little squeaky voice. "No! Not my arm! Don't eat my arm!" "Crunch crunch crunch." "Oh no! Now I have only one arm...don't eat my other arm!" You get the picture.

Perhaps this behavior was somewhat prompted by the fact that before I gave them the gingerbread men I ran around the first floor with them singing "run run as fast as you can, you can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man."

Anyway, I was inspired to hop on YouTube and I FOUND IT! (I Love YouTube. Thank you NathanScott57, whoever you are.) I had this book and record when I was a little girl.



I looked today and was able to buy the book/record combos on Ebay or Amazon. Amazon also had the MP3 (because we no longer have a record player) available for download. Sister and Brother, I ALSO was able to get "Casper and the Demon of Darkness" and "Jack and the Beanstalk." Ahh, memories :) Sister, I found "Tina the Ballerina" too, but she was too expensive. I'll keep my eye out for one for Token Girl.

Home of:The Ultimate Montessori Blog ListThe Ultimate Montessori Search BoxThe Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration

4 comments:

  1. We definitely know that song, it's one of our favorites. In fact, the kids were just asking me, tonight, if we could make gingerbread cookies over the weekend and then, they launched in to, "Run, run as fast as you can, you can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man!"

    In regards to your question ... even with great big towers of wooden blocks collapsing upon them, day after day, our old hardwood floors seem to be holding up fine. The dents add character. Right? :)

    Although, every so often, when I don't feel like being JARRED, I'll ask the kids to move their blocks over and build on an area rug, instead. Either way, they're fantastic. We love our blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had the same Gingerbread book with the same tune! Memories . . . LOL

    I have a small obsession with the Gingerbread Man actually - I pick up versions of the story when I see them at the thrift store - many of them have small variations and then of course, there is Gingerbread Girl and Gingerbread Baby too. I have probably 12 versions all together now of the Gingerbread Boy story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing! I found my Gingerbread Man book a few days ago that I had as a young child and passed it along to my children. They loved the story (and it brought back so many fond memories of my dad reading it to me).

    Kyle
    http://www.montessoriforlearning.com

    ReplyDelete