Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Should be Painting, not Blogging



I should be painting right now. I have a paint tray full of wet paint and a drop cloth on the floor. It's time to put a second coat on the foyer ceiling.
Instead, as I walked past to the computer to check out the paint swatches I threw on the wall just one more time it beckoned to me to put up some pictures of what we've been doing this week in the school room.

I didn't add much to the shelves as the boys were still very engaged with what was already there. I added the brown stair and Kal-El requested I add his "collections" (shells, feathers, rocks, insects) back to the culture shelves.



Me Too has been working with the following:

  • practical life: care of self, hammering
  • language: I Spy, sound bins
  • math: spindle boxes
  • sensorial: His biggest interest right now. cylinder blocks (all four together), brown stair
  • culture: watching Kal-El and letting him teach him about shells and insects. Globes, puzzle maps.




Kal-El has been working on the following:

  • practical life: hanging things on a hanger (he spends a lot of time on this, I need to take some photos. Also, cute story about this I'll share at the end.), washing shells, hammering. searching for insects to vacuum up with his bug vacuum.
  • language: He really works a lot with the "oa" sound bin matching labels to objects. Likes rhyming using the M & D puzzle pieces and thinking of other words that also rhyme with those things.
  • math: spindle boxes
  • sensorial: pink tower/brown stair combinations.
  • culture: insects, shells, feathers, bug vacuum, working with shell identification charts.

I need to get some more of our sensorial material back out for upcoming days. Kal-El is ready to start beads in math. Otherwise, we seem to be right on target with both boys and are seeing a lot of understanding and repetition.

As I mentioned, Kal-El is really obsessed with hanging things on hangers right now. He spends a lot of time reorganizing his closet when he is supposedly "napping." I couldn't even begin to count how many times I've given a presentation on hangers and it just hadn't clicked. Yesterday he ran into the bathroom where I was taking a shower to show me his Superman costume hanging on a hanger. He gleefully announced "LOOK what I DID!" I said "You hung it nicely on the hanger! How did you DO that?" He said, "I used my 'secret identity.' Sometimes when I'm not 'Kal-El' I'm 'Clever-man'."


Home of:The Ultimate Montessori Blog ListThe Ultimate Montessori Search BoxThe Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration

1 comment:

  1. Cute story. Reading your posts makes me want to remove half of the works available on the shelves to get my two to work with things that hardly get used.

    ReplyDelete