Monday, January 17, 2011

School Day

Wow! It has been a long time since I wrote a blog post with the title "school day."

I was not surprised that the boys spent nearly all day in the school room today. They are napping now and I have a feeling they will be back in there again afterward. I took a ton of pictures today because it had been so long. Hopefully I'll be able to tone it down on future days. To break it up a little bit I think I will be publishing four (!) posts today. There were two activities I wanted to show in a little more detail and it will be better to post about them separately than to clutter this post up with that.

The boys chose activities freely over the course of about four hours. I gave about ten (!) presentations today which is a lot for one day, but not a lot for four hours. Me Two had a lot of questions about what was "his," "Kal-El's" or "both of theirs."

Me Too working on the "snap" dressing vests. We have a collection of six (?) dressing vests. These are new to our learning space. I never was happy with my dressing frames. These were practically free through Oriental Trading so I tacked them on to an order for trays. My boys love to play dress up and in particular love to wear vests. They are way too big. A child large enough to fit these properly would be too old to need them. I have a feeling that once Grammie gets her hands on them though it will be as easy as putting a tuck up the back and sewing the sides to the back rather than using them as manufactured with four-inch velcro straps. We'll leave them "too big" until after my 7 and 9 yo niece and nephew visit so they can have fun with them.


Me Too actually using color box two, but uninterested in making any matches. When I demonstrated a couple he announced that it was "time to put this away."


Me Too was proud that he was "super strong" to carry the whole pink tower in its new basket. There was no good spot for our pink tower on the stand and this method of storage has its own advantages anyway.


Working with the continents globe. He asked for a lesson on the names of the continents and maybe learned two today. Prior to this he worked with the new sand/water globe. I tacked it on to an order for some other things because my homemade one was huge and shedding sand and therefore disqualified from earning a spot on the moving truck.

Kal-El brought the globes to me on the couch and asked for a lesson with them earlier. He has reached the stage where he has realized (right or wrong) that I am a "wealth" of information. He likes to bring me the same objects repeated and ask to hear something new about them. Today he wanted me to show him where on the continents globe "they speak Spanish." Not only did he learn where some of those places are, but I was able to show him on the globe how Spanish got from Spain to South America. Later I found him running a miniature boat across the water transporting boatloads of Spanish speakers. Then I heard him mumble "and this boat is going from Portugal to Brazil. Now stay there Portugese. No running around. "

The Spanish discussion naturally led him to turn the globe and ask "what language do they speak in Asia?" He has asked to hear some of these languages spoken on the computer language. This will be good because right now he thinks all languages are really a form of pig-Latin.


Hammering pegs.


The geometric solids were actually the first work that Kal-El chose today. They were in a "new" box (the one they came in actually) and had the stands for the curvilinear solids for the first time. I sat back in silence and watched while he tried to put all of the solids on the table. When he got to the sphere it rolled right off. He looked at the stands with a glint in his eye and set the sphere in the stand. He then tried each shape in the box to see which ones rolled and which ones did not. I spoke twice total during his work when specifically spoken to. The first time was when he asked me to come look at his sphere, ellipsoid and ovoid on the stands. I introduced the word "curvilinear." The second time was when he complained that he had run out of stands but his cone was rolling of the table. I asked him if there was another way he could put it on the so it wouldn't roll. He spent some time then experimenting with the other solids and discovered that some solids would roll in one position and stay put in another.

Finally he noticed (he talks to himself as he works, that's how I know this stuff) that some of the solids had identical bases and spent some time matching them up.

This was a great example of the materials letting the child teach themselves if I remember to stay out of the way.

Here Me Too is opening the "V" sound bin. Sound bins are not part of the Dwyer sequence but I do them because it is an easy way for me to remember to spend some time helping him hear the different sounds in words. The boys also like for us to look at these all-together.

In this picture Me Too is making a v..v..vulture fly through the air. The "V" bin also contained the following: van, violin, vacuum, vanilla, vampire, vase, and velcro. Some other ideas for objects that we didn't happen to own would be a volleyball and a volcano.

I'm really glad we kept the couch in the room so far. After looking through the objects both boys climbed up on the couch with me to look at the "V" book from our I Spy Phonics Fun Boxset book set and the "V" book from the AlphaTales Box Set.

The day the "V" sound bin was an excellent segue into introducing the new v...v...vests by the way.


This was Kal-El's brain-child "Look Mommy! A vampire playing the violin riding on a van!"



Home of:The Ultimate Montessori Blog ListThe Ultimate Montessori Search BoxThe Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration

1 comment:

  1. Love this post!

    Something I struggle with is just sitting back and letting Link use the materials, especially when he's not using them the way I presented. The color boxes are a good example of that. I have demonstrated how to use them, and when he gets them out he does not repeat the process, sooo, I tend to step in and repeat it with him. Maybe next time I'll follow your lead and step back.

    ReplyDelete