Monday, February 28, 2011

Bad End to Sledding

Today I took the kids sledding for the very first time.


This is practically the only photo I was able to take. The three of us were having the most fun we have ever had together. It was a blast. We really needed to get out of the house because my husband has been leveled by H1N1 for the last six days. We've been busy taking care of him.

After about the fifth or sixth run this happened:


Kal-El has a "crush injury" to his right foot. I am relieved it is not broken. I was sure that it was. He can't walk right now, but should be able to tomorrow.

The hill we were going down was the "tot hill" at a local playground. We were not on the "big" hill. AND we were only starting about one-third of the way from the bottom. I estimate this hill at about 60 feet wide, at least. Somehow, and I don't know how it is gravitationally possible, Kal-El managed to sled completely horizontally across this hill from the middle all the way into the trees. I saw the foot of his sled hit a tree but not his actually foot.

His foot looks really gross. Purple, black and very swollen. It looked very odd when I took his boot off. I was certain it was broken. It was just that the top of his foot toward the outside had puffed up the size of a clementine and made his foot look crooked.

The X-ray technician printed him a copy of his X-ray. He is very excited about that. He is NOT very excited about sledding. He says he is never going sledding again, that this is his "worst day ever," and he wishes he could "start the day over and NOT go to that sledding hill."

Way to ruin sledding Mom.

5 comments:

  1. Oh poor sweet boy and mommy. I hope he heals very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! How scary for all of you. Glad it's not broken and hope he's on the mend soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so sorry to read obout your accident. Hope your son will recover soon and one day he will like to try sledding again. Hugs. Ewa

    ReplyDelete