Monday, April 4, 2011

School Day: Math

Today Kal-El complete the "Function of the Decimal System" layouts (Gettman 172-173). The lesson shows that "to go beyond nine of any category, one must go to the next higher category, for both the beads and the cards" (170). When the child compares the layout of the beads to the layout of the cards they can see the parallel hierarchies. (Edited to add: They can see it even better if it is laid out correctly. This layout was wrong. I was "instructions challenged" on this activity. I know how to do it now and will post it correctly soon. I'm sure I do this stuff wrong more often than I can imagine.)

Over the weekend Kal-El pulled out the Easter cards and counters and reviewed the concepts of even and odd.


Today Me Too worked with the sandpaper numbers. He practiced tracing them and we also played a game of "touch it fast" to work on recognizing the numbers 1-9 in random order. I shout out a number and he has to "touch it fast."


We worked on this because he still has trouble putting the numbers in order for his numbers and counters work. He seems to identify numbers based on their position in the number line rather than their symbol.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I just did the "Function of the Decimal System" with Bunny today too! I wasnt able to get pictures of it since I was presenting it to her, but I was amazed she got it! I really want to thank you for all of your posts and in sight into Gettman's book. I got it from the libraby, and it has shown me so much!!!!! We have been stuggling with a lot of the golden bead exercises, but Gettman's book really uses presentations that make it easy and allow her to get it! So THANK YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,

    COOL! Bunny and Kal-El are only a couple of weeks apart in age. Too bad they can't be buddies.

    I think we are for a busy couple of months. We are picking up steam after having such a huge break in work last year.

    I'm glad you are finding the Gettman a help. Man, that "function of the decimal system" lesson seemed as clear as mud though. I re-read that presentation 20 times and still couldn't figure out how the number layout should look when done. I couldn't find a way to follow his instructions and get it to fit on a rug like described. I decided to just ditch the rug and go with it. If she builds it again, post a picture for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be awesome if they could hang out! I think they would have fun!

    I totally agree with you on the lay out of that lesson. I just figured that I would do my best with out the rugs. I only have small ones I knew it would never fit! :) It was wonderful though to see Bunny look at everything and tell me, "hey, one of these is 10 of these" for each decimal place! She also showed me that the units have no zeron, the tens have one, the hundreds have two, and the thousands have three! I was really proud of her!:) It didnt look super neat, but it worked! Thanks again! I'll definatly post a picture if she goes for it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bunny did this work again and I got pictures this time! :) I also think that I may have figured out the layout! Let me know what you think! Thanks so much for all of the insights you have shared!

    ReplyDelete