Friday, September 30, 2011

Weaving


Can God help me to remember this photo during the times that the boys are screaming and pulling on opposite ends of a toy?

Kal-El and Me Too were super excited to learn to weave this week. They have both basically completed all of the activities in the practical life albums I commonly refer to. There are a few little lessons on my "to do" list (Mostly polishing lessons... I have shown a distinct lack of enthusiasm for polishing) and some things I'd like to repeat. Otherwise we are free to move on to what I would call "hand work."

There is a marvelous list of hand work activities with beautiful photos and instructions done by Margaret Homfray and Marilyn Blodget available for free online.


I think I say this often here on the blog, but I'll mention it again...at home most of our work in the "practical life" category happens outside the school room while we are living life. However, I think it is important for us to have practical life activities available in the school room during our work periods. They are frequently chosen by the boys as warmup activities or as a bit of a rest between big works. Many days, like this day, practical life IS their big work of the day. If one of the boys is at a developmental stage where they have a need to be doing practical life work I think it should be there in the school room even if it seems like we are doing practical life all the time otherwise.

If you are homeschooling multiple children it would be difficult for the work period to run smoothly without those activities there. I was able to give sooo many presentations this day because the boys were so intent on weaving in-between.


If you are homeschooling multiple children and you are having trouble giving presentations because the other kid(s) seem lost or pesky try tweaking your practical life shelves. Although, sometimes they just like to watch. You can see in the above photo that Me Too found Kal-El's weaving fascinating. I was afraid his nose would get woven into the loom.


Kal-El is able to complete a potholder 100% on his own. This includes finishing with a flat edge. He spent about 4 hours making two potholders the first day. He spent about six hours working on them altogether, but about 2 hours of that can be subtracted due to intermittent violin practicing, multiplication with the golden beads, reading, and writing practice.

Me Too learned how to warp the loom and really enjoyed doing that. The actual act of weaving was too advanced for him on the loom. He worked on weaving at his own level using colored paper.

1 comment:

  1. Practical Life is so much fun as they keep growing. I totally agree with keeping it on the shelves even once they have advanced past the traditional sequence for early childhood. On a side note, Aidan just learned how to weave on the potholder loom and he just loves it although what I am going to do with so many is beyond me!

    ReplyDelete