Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Little Business: Captcha

I would like your opinions please!  About five days ago I removed "Captcha" (that thing that makes you type in those crazy letters before it will post your comment) from the process of commenting on posts here at What DID We Do All Day.  I did so because I know firsthand that it can be kind of annoying to fill that out and I wanted to simplify the process for you.

In the past five days since I removed Captcha I have received 50 robotic spam messages.  Blogger catches them nicely and places them in a spam folder so YOU don't have to see them in the comment section.  However,  I have Blogger set to notify me whenever I receive a comment so that I don't miss them.  This is especially important because I frequently get comments and questions on very old posts.  Blogger sends the e-mail notification BEFORE they move the comment to spam so I am being notified of each and every spam comment.

It is depressing, because each and  every time I get all excited like it's my birthday, "Oh!  Yippee!  I have a comment!"  only to open it and find "blog sexy"  followed by an ominous link.

As far as I know, there is no way to ask blogger to only send the "good comments" (I think they have changed something lately, I didn't used to get spam notifications.  I used to check my Blogger spam folder every week or so to make sure no one got stuck in there.  It used to be pretty much empty.).  So, my question for you is...how annoying is Captcha for you?  Are there many of you out there who won't or can't comment if Captcha is turned on?  It's turned OFF right now, so this is your chance to let me know!

 Home of: The Ultimate Montessori Blog List
The Ultimate Montessori Search Box
The Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration



Would YOU like to be added to the Ultimate Montessori Blog List?  Contact me!

15 comments:

  1. I have a hard time leaving comments with you. the "Captcha" box registers that I haven't filled it in correctly even when I do - several times. So, I find its being off great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no expert, but if you set your comments to not appear until you moderate them would that be helpful? Then all the comments,even on old posts, would be set aside for you in blogger so you could turn the email feature off. But then you would need to check for comments on some sort of schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind captcha it's just annoying when you can hardly read it and then you think you have all the letters typed in correctly and then it gets rejected so you have to do it several more times! That being said I do understand the annoyance of spam! It's nice without it but if you turned it back on, it would not prevent me from making a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon,

    No, that won't help much. I guess it would stop the part where I get excited to see a comment in my e-mail, but I would still have to see all of the spam comments and mark them as spam. Mostly that solution would just delay the rapid discussion in the comments section that takes place here from time to time.

    I guess I just feel like if Blogger knows the comments are spam, then I shouldn't have to look at them more than once in a while to double check. It used to work that way, I don't know why they changed it :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it is a little annoying, but I have to do it on almost every other blog. So if I have something that I want to say, I do! :) I'll still stop by and say hi either way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally am not too troubled by Captcha, I am happy either way. And now that I know how excited you get when you get a new comment I will write them more often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not like having to type in the hard to read words, but it dosen't stop me from commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mind entering it if I am on my computer but it is difficult when on my iPhone so sometimes I may just wait to comment on any blog that requires the word to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's fine. Captcha is just one of the costs of doing business online. I don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It doesn't bother me. Actually, I have been getting your spam comments as well, because I subscribed to comments to some of your posts because sometimes you also add comments that are worth reading. The post about toy rotation has been getting a lot of spam lately. I just delete them and it's not that big of a deal, and actually, I was planning to email you to let you know, just in case you didn't already. So anyway...captcha is totally fine with me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you got rid of captcha. Lately I keep getting captchas with Arabic lettering or Greek letters in there and having to ask for another one. Very funny but awfully time consuming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I personally comment either way. I know that spam is a hassle, so I don't mind the captcha - and when it is genuine Captcha (from the Captcha site), you know it's helping to decode scanned-in books so that we can have more out-of-print books available online!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't mind captcha, but I always click the button that gives me a new captcha until it gives me something really clear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. very true.................. its a great and exclusive offer to start ones own business without investment and with convenience...............................


    image decoding

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ya Its really Great.... Superb Blog... and peaceful information.. Excellent Job1.. Thanks for sharing..


    deathbycaptcha

    ReplyDelete