Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Music Shelves and Three-Part Card Storage

After all of those Montessori music posts, I thought I would take a picture and show you what our music shelves look like today. When I photographed the school room for the "official tour" the music shelves were still under construction.

The music shelves are tucked behind our comfy red couch more than a little bit, so I had to think carefully when I decided what to put on the shelves.


The tall shelf at the bottom is a good place to put our basket of rhythm instruments.  The slim shelf above is a great place to stash the xylophone.  These are the only two shelves that are difficult to reach.  These particular items are large enough to both be visible for the boys and use the shelf space efficiently.  They are also narrow enough to be pulled out without getting stuck behind the couch.

The rest of our music works are stored on the upper shelves.

 We used to have the Montessori bells set up on the window seat...


This is valuable real estate in our little work space so, now that Kal-El can grade the bells, they can sometimes be put away on the top shelf.


The bells all fit nicely on a big tray I found a thrift store our first year doing Montessori.  Because I made our bells "boards" out of felt instead of wood, they can be rolled nicely and placed next to the bells.

The second shelf from the top is a slim space we use to store our pitch and rhythm boards.  The grey boxes to the right hold the Nienhuis pitch notation materials.

The third shelf from the top holds a green tray with all of our Nienhuis and homemade rhythm notation materials.  I gathered these on a tray so that they could be brought to the table all at once rather than taking boxes in many trips, also so that the could be slipped on top of our notation boards if I find I need more shelf space in the future.  Once we get further into the pitch notation works, I should put those on a tray as well.

To the right of the rhythm materials are three-part cards for the "parts of the violin" and "parts of the bow" as well as an envelope holding the whole/half step cards I made.


I store my three-part cards in 6x9 business envelopes.  When I print three-part cards I print an extra of the labeled, whole card to laminate and tape to the front of the envelope.  I bought a bunch of plastic napkin holders at the dollar store one year.  I have one on each of many of the shelves in the school room so that when in use, I can store several sets easily on the shelf near the other works they are associated with.


Here is a quick snap of some of my culture shelves (zoology puzzles, insect puzzles, botany puzzles).  Each puzzle set has a napkin holder next to it with the envelopes containing the "parts of" cards for that topic.

When not in use, the envelopes can be slipped into one of the many bankers boxes I have, labeled by primary subject, in my basement Montessori storage room.

If you are looking for the rest of my series on Montessori Music, there is a tab at the top of my blog under the header, or they can be found here!

Home of: The Ultimate Montessori Blog List The Ultimate Montessori Search Box The Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration

7 comments:

  1. Hi, THANKS so much for this. It's definetely on my to-do list, but with a combination of this idea:

    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SALE-MONTESSORI-SENSORIAL-Bells-Set-WOODEN-Stands-EDUCATIONAL-MUSICAL-TOY-/230682602019?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Educational_Toys&hash=item35b5c12a23

    I have a friend who can make the stands easily. Do you think and overkill?

    Thanks so much again. And such good timing!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracey,

    Just making sure I understand...you would be buying bells like I have and then dismantling them and your friend will make stands to put them on? Sounds great to me. If you are going to buy the ones you sent the link for, remember one would need to buy two sets and it's getting expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed this post by two days and asked you another google-able question about card storage. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you be so kind to share where you got your parts of the violin cards from? My kids just started violin lessons and I think they will love to work with them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.nurturinglearning.com/violin-nomenclature-cards/

      Delete