Friday, February 3, 2012

School Days

Here are just a few of this week's activities that I happened to take pictures of...


Outside the school room, the blocks have been used every day...one of our best purchases ever!




Kal-El completing a "Reading Folders" sort.



He can check his work by flipping the cards over (see the cards on the far right).



Our Antarctica continent box contains an aerial map of the man-made structures of McMurdo Station.  Kal-El came up with the idea to build McMurdo Station out of legos.  He would LOVE this relief map.



Token Girl (my niece) stayed with us for a few days.  Doing her hair was a great reminder of why God blessed me with boys.  Poor kid!  I'm sure she's glad to be home!


Kal-El and I read a "team poem" called "The Long-I Line" together (from The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading).  It uses all of the "I" sounds:  ie, i-e, y, and igh.  It also contains the sight words "eye" and "I."  Me Too listened along.



Afterwards, we all colored  a train to match the descriptions Kal-El read in the poem.  I usually avoid coloring pages like the plague, but liked the "recall" purpose of this one.


We were blessed with warm weather this week so the boys spent a lot of time outside riding bikes and planning an obstacle course they want to build this summer.  When the weather is not as great, the boys spend a lot of time climbing on the big climber in the basement and riding their big wheels in circles.


Home of: The Ultimate Montessori Blog List The Ultimate Montessori Search Box The Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration

2 comments:

  1. Awesome work time as always! I love the blocks! My girls are forever setting things up! I forgot to get a picture, but yesterday they had three dolls in a circle, all in various little chairs or seats, with an umbrella in the middle. They were supposed to be riding a merri-go-round! :) It was too cute! I love it when they play and learn! Happy Schooling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A climbing wall in your basement - I wish I had room for that for my boy - he could do with it on days that he doesn't do sports and starts climbing the wall with all the excess energy he seems to have!

    ReplyDelete