Wednesday, February 29, 2012

School Days

It has been almost a week since our last school days post.  What DID we do all week?  My parents had the boys ALL WEEKEND.  Me Too wants to learn all about "pet care," most specifically "dog care" and my Mom put together a great mini-unit for him.  He also got to be in charge of their dog for the weekend.


Brushing her teeth




Brushing her tail

It sounds like they had a fun weekend full of food, family, food, play, food, a movie, and dog care.  And food.  Sadly, as usual, they couldn't manage to play at a McDonald's play land without licking the equipment or something and now they have nasty head colds.  I keep wiping Me Too's face down with a warm washcloth so hopefully you won't see snot all over his face in his pictures.





After mastering counting forwards and backwards by ten and by six, Kal-El worked with the squaring chain of five.  His eyes are closed because he is practicing counting without looking at the tags.




Then he moved on to the cubing chain of five.  He also spends a lot of time outside of our "work periods" experimenting with the chains:  comparing the short to the long, stacking squares, stacking cubes, making squares, making cubes, etc.,  The chains have also reignited his interest in the teen bead bars.  He spends a lot of time combining the bars in different ways to make different numbers.




 Me Too played inspirational music on the xylophone to cheer him on.




Me Too is still working on orienting himself to the movable alphabet boxes.  He has been matching the letters in the boxes to the sandpaper letters.




Me Too has also been choosing geometry a lot lately.  Here he has matched labels (that I read to him) to the proper metal inset.




He also worked on matching the triangles from the geometric cabinet to a control chart.


Here he is matching labels (that I read to him) to the correct shape in the cabinet drawer.




 Me Too is now comfortable identifying units, ten bars, 100 squares, and 1000 cubes.  Today he built the 45 layout with beads only.  He was really good at this and I could see him doing a lot of mental math as well as using simple addition facts to build.  Afterward, he was able to count his way through (one unit, two units...three tens, four tens...six hundreds, seven hundreds...two thousands, three thousands...etc.,) independently.


He had me take this picture in order to show his Grammie how tall the thousand cubes get.




Here he wanted to show his Grammie how the towers are big enough to hide behind.

I gave Me Too a presentation on the symbols for 1, 10, 100, and 1000 today.  It didn't go very well.  I'll try again tomorrow because I'm hoping that he was just not paying attention.  I am a little worried that he's going to have trouble with the number reading and that it will make us get stuck here for a while.



It has been very noisy in the school room lately.  When someone isn't playing the violin or the xylophone, they might be working with the bells or as Kal-El did here, building rhythms with the notation materials and playing them on rhythm instruments. 

Kal-El has been working with the Asia continent box a lot this week.  Today he asked me to show him "something new about geography" but rejected my several suggestions.  I'll have to puzzle out what he meant by that.  

They are both interested in bears this week and we watched some National Geographic and BBC footage on brown bears, grizzlies, and polar bears.  Another trip to the zoo might be in order soon.

In the evenings I have been watching D.C. Cupcakes while I make materials for the grammar farm (gotta love shows that only require that you look up from cutting and laminating whenever you hear someone say "oooh!  It's so beautiful!").  I'll be presenting the key experience for nouns later this week!



Would YOU like to be added to the Ultimate Montessori Blog List?  Contact me!

Montessori Monday

4 comments:

  1. I love the work that these two are doing. The picture is awesome with Me Too with the thousand cubes. I hope everyone starts feeling back to normal!! The playland, I remember when mine would do that. Sometimes I am happy that they are too big for that now when were eating at McDonalds, but now I hear things like you know today is Supermans' birthday, and I want to say "Go Play":)Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What awesome bead work ... LOVE the photo with the thousand cubes. And the labeling work is wonderful, too!

    I hope everyone is feeling better. Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your music notation materials!! Where-o-where did you find them???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie,

    http://whatdidwedoallday.blogspot.com/2012/01/montessori-music-notation.html

    There is also a whole series of music-related post under the tab "Montessori Music" at the top of my blog under the header.

    ReplyDelete