Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Great Outdoors





You might not recognize these boys today.  This morning we braved the "do the kids have off of school today?" waters and ventured out for haircuts.  Me Too's hair has never been this short.  His head is one huge cowlick so we have two choices: kinda long or super short. I have been afraid to try much besides long.  I was nervous during the cut. The stylist had to keep cutting in shorter and shorter in the back so it wouldn't stick out all over like a duck's tail.  I think she finally ended on the 3/8" clipper.  Me Too claims he cut his cheek on the stair rail.  I don't know how that's possible, but it accounts for his rugged and dangerous look.

It is a beautiful day outdoors so we spent most of our time out of the house.  The boys asked me to raise the basketball hoop one foot.  


Its a little high for Me Too, but he's managing.


We put up a new shepherd's crook and added two new bird feeders today.  The boys spent some time scouting the yard with binoculars before having a picnic lunch on the back patio.


When I brought out their plates Me Too said, "Mommy, be careful not to scare the birds!  We are sciencing them."

After lunch Me Too came in the house to have his feet measured because he claimed his shoes pinched.  I keep a laminated copy of this foot measuring chart inside my big bin of hand-me-down shoes.  It saves me having to try the boys' patience while they try on several pairs of shoes via trial-and-error.  Sure enough, he grew a size!  I found only one pair of athletic shoes in his new size in my stash, but two pairs of church shoes.  

We are fortunate in that our new home is situated directly across the street from a city park.  It not only features sports fields, a playground, tennis courts and bathrooms but also three ponds, a savannah or wetlands (I'm not sure which it is technically), and a few acres of heavy woods.  It's a homeschooling family's dream!  So, after lunch we went across the street to the park for a nature walk.


Our shoes were happiest on the paved trails.  Once we started off-roading in the naturalized areas it was  pretty muddy.  


I was sorry that I had just traded out Me Too's shoes!  I need to find us some rubber boots for spring.  My sneakers leaked and my socks got wet.


We did see rabbit, deer, red-winged blackbirds, mourning doves, geese, ducks, sea gulls, ants, and scat.

Does anybody have some favorite footwear for kids during this kind of weather?

Home of: The Ultimate Montessori Blog List
The Ultimate Montessori Search Box
The Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration

Would YOU like to be added to the Ultimate Montessori Blog List?  Contact me!

5 comments:

  1. Nice haircuts! Handsome:) DJ just saw your boys wearing their Backyard Safari vest and asked "Why didn't we go over to their house today?" Good question! Looks like you guys are having a great day. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could try the no shoes option. It has saved us a ton of shoes and lots of not slipping in rubber boots.

    It gave Josiah particularly an additional way of "observing" nature. He could feel the temperature, texture, and moisture content better.

    On the plus side the boys and I were able to go shoeless which apparently is the preferred way to dig in archaeology so you don't leave "waffle divots" in the level's floor.

    Ohh and now that I can comment: I love their vests!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a wonderful day!!!! I really love all your outdoor fun! I am loving this wondeful weather! I especially love Me Too's "sciencing the birds" comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shoe-sizing chart! My only suggestion for the footwear is rubber boots. As a child, I remember tramping along beaches and muddy fields throughout winter thanks to some sturdy boots. Not quite sure now how I didn't get blisters all over my feet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Discovering Montessori,

    Thanks :) A proud mom can't hear "handsome" too many times. Ever.

    Eavice,

    I'm glad SOMEONE is gaining from this no captcha thing. I WISH we could go shoeless. There are a lot of trees with 1.5 inch thorns over there. Two years ago I stepped on a thorny branch on accident when wearing crocs and a big thorn went all the way through my shoe and very far into my foot. I think I have a thorn phobia now. Today I ordered myself some boots at least. The kids didn't care that the were ruining their shoes, but I sure cared that I was ruining mine :)


    Stephanie,

    Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was funny :)

    Sarah,

    You're welcome regarding the chart. I've been checking out your blog from time to time. I like your posts. I think you're right on the rubber boots. I ordered myself some anyway...

    ReplyDelete