Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Ending Sound Sort


One of the works Me Too chose this morning was an ending sound sort.


t:  hat, bat, heart, boat
d:  mermaid, bird, kid, card



m:  dime, gum, drum, broom
n:  man, dolphin, cone, pumpkin

This is, obviously, an advanced ending sound sort.  If the child were new to sorting ending sounds you would make it easier in many ways such as:

  • sorting two sounds and later three sounds, not four
  • using shorter words.  "Kid" is easier than "dolphin" or "pumpkin"
  • use dissimilar sounds.  It is easy to differentiate "s" from "r".  It is harder to hear the difference between "m" versus "n" and "d" versus "t."
  • make sure that  the initial sounds of the objects you choose are not the same as the ending sounds you are targeting.  If Me Too were new to ending sound sorts, I would not have included "dolphin", "dime", or "drum" because it would be too tempting to sort it to the "d" according to initial sound.  Me Too is an old hand at different kinds of sound sorts so I didn't have to be careful about that.  In fact, I put them in on purpose to double check that he understands the concept of an "ending sound."





Home of: The Ultimate Montessori Blog List
The Ultimate Montessori Search Box
The Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration



Would YOU like to be added to the Ultimate Montessori Blog List?  Contact me!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I pinned this: http://pinterest.com/pin/91690542383634550/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. How does Me Too know whether it is a beginning/middle or ending sort? When will you introduce the object boxes and activity words to Me Too? At what point in the Dwyer method will you start working with him from Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading? All of his phonetics work seems to be paying off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon,

    Thanks :) He knows what kind of sort it is because I tell him. I'm always around so I just tell him. When I am setting up a bunch of sorts on the shelf at once I use these little trains so he doesn't need me to tell him:

    http://whatdidwedoallday.blogspot.com/2009/12/ending-sound-sorts.html

    Me Too started object boxes last week, but I haven't photographed him doing it yet. His work with the farm is nearly identical to object box work, so he hasn't spent enough time with them yet to allow me to catch him on camera.

    I tend to introduce the activity words after the object boxes. Then, he will start puzzle words. After that he will begin using phonetic readers. As you know, I borrowed the text from the Ordinary Parent's Guide to make them. It will be nice this time around because they are already made :)

    ReplyDelete