Friday, April 20, 2012

OU Sound Bin



You will find that the "ou" sound is most often the middle sound in a word.  I introduce sounds in small batches of 3-4 during the aural sound games and again later with the sandpaper letters.  I just make sure sounds like "ou" are in the later, rather than earlier, batches so that the child has some practice finding the sounds in a word before we are limited like this.  While "ou" is a somewhat difficult sound to represent I was able to find nine or ten actual objects for the bin.  I still filled in with some photographs for fun and frankly you could find actual miniatures for most of my photographs if you aren't as lazy as I am sometimes.

Our "ou" bin includes:  blouse (That purple blog above the sandpaper letter.  Believe me when I tell you that is a full-size object, LOL!), flour (Yes, that is a little bag of actual flour.  What's the worst that could happen?), bounce house, grouch, house, cloud (cotton ball pasted to blue cardstock), scout, mouth,  pouch, mouse, noun, and hourglass.  "Noun" will only work when your child has done a certain amount of grammar work and recognizes that you've stolen the solid symbol from the grammar shelf.

Not pictured:  "couch" and "sprout".  We have a little Fisher Price couch among their toys I could not find to take the picture.  Also, whenever we have sprouts (bean or brussel) in the refrigerator I tend to resurrect the "ou" bin so I can throw some in (in a baggie).

You can find my other posts about sound bins here, or through the "sound bins" tab at the top of my blog under the header.


Home of: The Ultimate Montessori Blog List
The Ultimate Montessori Search Box
The Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration


Would YOU like to be added to the Ultimate Montessori Blog List?  Contact me!

No comments:

Post a Comment