Tuesday, May 22, 2012

More Addition Facts...


Kal-El asked if he could leave his addition strip board out on the mat like this for a few days as he works through the new "equations drawer" I showed him yesterday.  Inspired by Making Montessori Ours, I put together a math drawer cabinet like this.  Choosing loose equations, writing them down, finding the answer with the strips, and checking the answer against addition chart one is the next "activity" in the memorization of addition sequence for us.


I, of course, made him a little book for recording his work.  I might be addicted to making little books, which is fine because Kal-El is addicted to using them.



Here are a few pages that have been filled in but not checked yet.








Home of: The Ultimate Montessori Blog List
The Ultimate Montessori Search Box
The Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration



Would YOU like to be added to the Ultimate Montessori Blog List?  Contact me!

4 comments:

  1. "I might be addicted to making little books, which is fine because Kal-El is addicted to using them."

    I LOVE that!

    When my son discovered notebooks - well, it took hold stronger than his love for workbooks. He just LOVES filling things in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really great idea!!!!! I love it! I did have a question for you. Bunny has been doing her math fact cards in her head or with her fingers. I made the stip board, but she thinks its cool to get all her own answers without it. Has Kal-El done that yet? Do you make him use the board? I was thinking that maybe I can let her do the work in her head and use the strip board to check it. Another question is where did you get the paper for your booklet? Bunny loves having a math booklet and I cant find this kind of paper anywhwere. Using a regualr notebook is hard for her right now and I wanted something like this! As always, you are the best! Thanks for sharing what you guys are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,

    Yes, he does much of the work in his head. He only builds the strips if he doesn't know the answer. He writes all the equations in the book and checks them against addition chart 1 regardless.

    I just printed some 1 cm graph paper online, cut out rectangles that fit four on a piece of 8 1/2 by 11 paper, photocopied a bunch two-sided, and then cut the paper in quarters.

    The upside of making your own is that you can adjust the size of the squares to meet your child's needs.

    Otherwise, just go on amazon and search for "quadrille notebook" you can buy notebooks filled with graph paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica,

    Your son sounds like a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete