This week Kal-El made his first electromagnet! This was the second type of temporary magnet he made using the supplies in the Lauri - Fun with Magnets kit we purchased. First, Kal-El wrapped a wire tightly around a 2" iron rod. Then he checked to see if it was magnetic by trying to pick up a washer. It did NOT pick up the washer.
The next instruction was to bend the loose ends into right angles. Kal-El knew what a right angle was thanks to his geometry lesson last week.
He decided to use the same square from the geometric cabinet that we used to find right angles on triangles to bend the wire into a right angle.
The next step was to place each end of the wire onto the ends of a D or C battery. We used a D.
Viola! The iron rod is now a magnet! You can see the washer now hangs off of the iron rod on the right.
Another day we will add a compass to this work and discover how reversing the direction of electric flow will reverse the poles of the magnet!