Thursday, November 1, 2012

Electromagnet


This week Kal-El made his first electromagnet!  This was the second type of temporary magnet he made using the supplies in the Lauri - Fun with Magnets  kit we purchased.  First, Kal-El wrapped a wire tightly around a 2" iron rod.  Then he checked to see if it was magnetic by trying to pick up a washer.  It did NOT pick up the washer.

The next instruction was to bend the loose ends into right angles.  Kal-El knew what a right angle was thanks to his geometry lesson last week


 He decided to use the same square from the geometric cabinet that we used to find right angles on triangles to bend the wire into a right angle.


The next step was to place each end of the wire onto the ends of a D or C battery.  We used a D.


Viola!  The iron rod is now a magnet!  You can see the washer now hangs off of the iron rod on the right.


Another day we will add a compass to this work and discover how reversing the direction of electric flow will reverse the poles of the magnet!

Montessori Monday

6 comments:

  1. Seriously awesome! I need to find a way to have the science information on hand! Bunny was interested in electrcity a while ago and I didnt have the stuff I needed to make any really good expirments happen! :( It was such a missed opportunity! Plus I dont know that much so I not only and trying to find information, but also pull together expiriments! This is a really cool one and I think I am going shopping now for kits like this! ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Stuff! Cant wait till my daughter gets interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great experiments! You mentioned a compass - it's been on my wishlist for a while. Do you know of one to recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl Who Painted Trees,

    YES I have some compasses for the boys that I love.
    http://whatdidwedoallday.blogspot.com/2012/01/making-compass.html

    I love that they don't have to rotate them to align the arrow with North.

    The magnet kit comes with a small, flat compass that will work better for the reversing poles experiment.


    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool science activity! I love that your son had such a concrete understanding of a right angle, too! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete