Tuesday, November 20, 2012

He finished!


Me Too finished the 1000 chain over the weekend!  I snapped this shot toward the end just to show you all how the chain indeed passes right by the front door.  (He made a Lego sphinx to watch over his work and make sure no one stepped on it.)

Some interesting tidbits...  It took him six days to complete the chain the first time.  On Sunday morning before church he got it in his head to do it again.  He set it all up and completed it in about two hours.  He started the chain the first time counting by "ones."  He switched over to counting by tens sometime in the low 300's.  The speed with which he completed the chain the second time reflects the dramatic increase in his ability to count by "tens."  After labeling the chain each time he read all of the labels both forwards and backwards before putting it away.  He disliked reading them backwards the first time.  The second time he did it with gusto.  I plan to redo a couple of presentations with the golden beads and the seguin boards with him.  He demonstrated some insufficiencies in counting by ones while doing the work the first time.

Me Too's favorite part of this work is putting the chain away.  I wish you all could have seen the reverence with which he loads the chain onto his hand and then onto the cabinet and then how carefully he puts away the golden squares.  When he finished putting the chain away the second time he spent a long time afterward straightening the cabinet as a whole.  It was precious to see him straightening all of the cubes, carefully turning this cube or that a fraction in one direction or another.

I have been busy in the evenings.  After finishing all of the fraction equations I moved on to make all the materials I need to present Karen Tyler's history album in its entirety and am working on making all of remaining notation and rhythm materials for primary and elementary music.  I'll have a file or two to share when that is all over with!  There will be no rest for the weary.  When I'm done with that I plan to tackle the homemade materials I need for the geometry sections of the albums.  I tend to do the work in big chunks like this in hopes that I will be able to relax when I'm done.

6 comments:

  1. This is so precious! I would have loved to see Me Too put the materials away. This is no small feat.

    I am making a lot of materials too. Mainly for the preschoolers though. My work seems to go back and forth like that. The preschoolers inspire me and then I am making and presenting a bunch of lessons and then back to my kiddos again.
    Sometimes I wish that I could just focus on one area for material making.

    I really enjoyed looking at the pictures!Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!

    My earliest struggles with adjusting myself to Montessori was that balance between "making" a child do something he really doesn't want to do and entirely free-for-all follow the child. Time and again, I find that with the right prompting for the child to give me their will for just a little bit and I promise I will give it back - they end up LOVING what I have to show them! It sounds like he had the same experience ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh...I cant wait to see what you make! I am still overwhelmed with all the things I feel like I never have when I need them! I am needing to get to making grammar boxes. I think I need to give up the idea of finding boxes and just use envelopes! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use envelopes to store our card materials ;) the boxes I originally made on posterboard with strips of cardboard for very low "borders" then all was colored around the edges and background. Later I did finally purchase the grammar boxes and I LOVE them so much better! But the posterboard version was just fine too - and quick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie,

    Do mean the multi-compartment grammar boxes or the filling and command card boxes? I bought my multi-compartment boxes...don't have the DIY in me for that. Jessica's option sounds good if you looking for cheap!

    I have filling and command card boxes that my friend made. I think envelopes would have been a much more logical option for a homeschool. I can't imagine why I would put all of these on the shelf here at home. Maybe I'll see a reason when I get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DM,

    I can't imagine having to split my energies like that...kudos to you! You get the spurts without the rest in between. I bit off a huge chunk recently though and it's taking a lot longer than I'd hoped. I think I'm spending 3 hours a day creating, printing, laminating and cutting. The end is in sight though!

    ReplyDelete