Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Montessori Music: Notation


Kal-El used many different types of music notation cards today.  First he worked with C-major scale matching cards.  This set of cards was a great way to start because they were a great visual discrimination exercise.  This set really set him up to be aware of how carefully he needed to look at the materials to do this work.  The note names are on the back of the cards for the control of error.


Next he worked with the grading cards.  He placed them in order from lower to higher.


Afterward he flipped them over to check the letter names on the back against a control strip.  Today he did this work with an second, unlabeled control strip beneath.  Next time he will just have the loose cards.


He cozied up on the couch and read the c-major scale description booklet that would serve as his control for the remaining card sets.


There are three sets of cards to use with the control booklet.  Today he used the first of those sets, matching picture with description.


Here he is using the control booklet to check his work.  I have been complaining lately about how much time I have been spending making an entire albums worth of work at a time for several subjects.  Today is a good example of why I have been doing it that way.  In the past I would have made one set of cards thinking he would spend a day or two on them and I would make a new set every few days as needed.  In my experience what starts as fun and excitement can wane over time.  It was great to have all the sets ready because Kal-El was able to move along exactly as fast as he wanted without waiting.  Well, without too much waiting.  My laminator is warming up right now because I realized I had forgotten to make him the three-part card version of the first set of matching cards.  He is planning on doing that set plus the other description card sets tomorrow.

I want to note that the earliest cards in this set do not traditionally have the clef printed on them.  Kal-El decided to learn the piano about a month ago.  That is an interesting Montessori story for another post.  However, I bring it up now because it is for that reason he will be needing to read the bass clef as well very very soon.  All of these cards are treble clef cards.  The traditional exercise for introducing the bass clef is quite different.  It is, however, geared toward the musical materials that the child has access to in a traditional Montessori environment...all treble clef instruments.  I didn't feel that the amount exposure to bass clef was adequate for a piano student.  So, I made bass clef versions of all of the above sets (and the sets to follow) as well.  Because he will be reading in two clefs in pretty short order I felt it was best for our family to indicate the clef on ALL of our pitch materials whether it is traditionally there or not.

If you are looking for the rest of my posts on Montessori music you can find them at the Montessori Music tab under my blog header.

Montessori Monday

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I made bass clef cards for my son too ;) He asked for them so he could "easier memorize them" - but he too is learning piano, so it makes sense to do these cards for the younger ages.

    As much as I follow my AMI albums very closely, this is definitely an area of "following the child" and adding in what they need at the appropriate time -- where many children won't need to read notes in bass clef for a while, and then can learn it more straight forward without the cards - our sons do need to know it now ;)

    ReplyDelete