Tuesday, February 5, 2013

This is what happens...

...when I ignore Me Too.  Wierd story.  Kal-El was knee deep in a serious mathematical situation and needed me to watch what he was doing.  Me too picked this precise moment to announce that he was going to start one of the "other" chains (he means "other than 100 and 1000 chains" that he's had presentations on).  I really planned on him doing the six or seven chain next and giving him a proper presentation on them but not RIGHT THAT MINUTE. (The only reason he wanted to do a chain by the way is because I had told him "now might be a good time to do your addition board.") So, I asked him "which one?"  He said, "the two chain."  So I said "okay."  I figured he could experiment with it and I'd show him how to do them properly later.  Ummm...not necessary.  A few minutes later Me Too brought me MY CAMERA to show me the following picture that HE TOOK OF HIS WORK:





After a satisfactory "you did it!" and reminding Me Too he is not supposed to just take my camera without asking, Kal-El and I went back to work.   Soon we heard some chanting from across the room.  Me Too was standing with his eyes squeezed tightly shut and was counting the chain from memory both forwards and backwards.  "Presentation?  He don't need no stinkin' presentation."

While I'm on the topic of Me Too, here are a couple of "Me Too-isms" from the week:

His cutest persistent mispronunciation:  Artantica
Best conversation:  
     Me:  "Kal-El, you have to use common sense."
     Me Too (butting in):  "Common sense?  Is that a Spanish word?"


Lately Me Too would much rather watch things than do things.  It really disturbs my husband (and it disturbs me sometimes) but I am always reminding him (and myself) that Me Too prefers to learn by watching and listening.  He can get pretty restless sometimes when I try to give him his own presentation but could spend all day watching his brother's...unless it's the Timeline of Life I guess.  He usually can tell his dad more about his brother's work than his own at the end of the day.  Those of you who have taught in traditional Montessori classrooms probably have him pegged.  I think he would be an observing wanderer.  What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. So cute! I actually stopped by to see if you had made your own bead shelf. I just finished making all the arrows and am planning on giving the 100 chain presentation to my son tomorrow. Hopefully the 1000 chain as well since he is already 6. Anyway, thanks for sharing. You are doing a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    No, I didn't make it. When I researched buying beads the cheapest set happened to have the cabinet included. I would have made the cabinet if it would have saved me money at the time but the cabinet was basically free. If you look in the Homemade Materials Collaboration there are a few links to people who made theirs.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! I haven't had much experience in a classroom, but my observer wanderers tend to catch on real fast and are very familiar with the names of the work and the vocabulary that goes along with it.

    I often wish that Ken and DJ were able to be observer wanderers in a classroom.


    That is the cutest picture of Me Too!

    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! I think most 2nd children would be observer wanderers! My little one who is only 2.5 years old teaches herself a lot of things by just observing! She can tell you a half from the other fractions, can count to ten and recite all the poems that the older one is memorizing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The art of allowing quiet observation is still somewhat new to me, vs trying to keep the others busy instead of giving them the opportunity! But I think this is great, and I am always amazed at what some of my chidlren can do that they learned by observing, even when I didn't make a point of allowing that or knowing it as going on - my five year old knows how to write her letters, and has for a while, all from watching her sister and brother when I didn't realize she was! I love the picture of him closing his eyes - it's too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when children reach the point of knowing just what to do with the remaining material - it's almost this magical moment of realizing that they can apply their previous learning to new stuff.

    Then there are those frustrating times I think a child (usually my own son) SHOULD be doing something and he's not - and how hard it is for me to just step back and let it take its time. Somehow that is easy to do with other people's children ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome think to learn! I sometime think that Pup tends to learn more then I think she doesn by watching! It is realy amazing that Me Too has been able to pick all of the information up and really apply it! That is real learning! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go Me Too!! Mini Cooper doesn't exactly wonder, but she is always there to watch a presentation no matter who it is for. I'm interested to see how it helps her in the future.

    ReplyDelete