Hey! Look what I made!
If you follow me on Facebook you know that I've been preoccupied with non-Montessori things this summer. However, I did put on my big-girl pants and prepared some Montessori work last night.
You may recall that I purchased a set of impressionistic charts for Botany so that I wouldn't have to make them. However, there are couple of charts that were just a little "too impressionistic" for my taste or to match my albums well. One such example is the chart for the key lesson "Leaf as Factory." Here is a picture I took of my ETC Montessori chart for that lesson:
I use the Keys of the Universe Biology album for botany and this didn't quite go with the story.
I also have another set of albums from a friend that includes blackline masters for the impressionistic charts. I had already printed and colored this one to replace the ETC chart:
This could have worked. However, the story in that album that accompanies the chart above is THREE typed pages long (and in a small font). The story in the KotU album is one PARAGRAPH long. Upon reflection, I felt that I liked both stories but that the longer story and chart was more appropriate for upper elementary when we get into the nitty gritty of photosynthesis. Jessica's KotU story and chart, however, were just what I needed for lower elementary.
Here is photo of the chart in the KotU album. Unfortunately it is just a thumbnail digital image in the album so I could not just print it out and call it a day. I tried to draw it by hand TWICE. While I was able to draw the images, I kept getting the proportions wrong and couldn't get everything to fit. That gave me the idea to draw the images onto colored paper instead (Less coloring! Woohoo!), cut them out, and arrange them on the leaf until everything fit.
And THAT is how I wound up with this:
My husband is brainstorming a way for me to share this with you all. I'll keep you posted.
In the meantime, my friend Tracey from Dream Before You found this video of a chart like mine in action: