Monday, August 26, 2013

Montessori Elementary: BC/AD Timeline




Edited to Add:  Some readers are confused by this picture since the Montessori presentation that goes with this is not printed here and think that I think there is a "year zero."  The red zero line is a line of demarcation between Year 1 BC and Year 1 AD, the red line in itself does not represent a year.  The ETC Montessori timeline shows a similar tall line that serves the same purpose.  If you don't like this style, you can make one more like the Affordable Montessori timeline but if you want to show 2000 years on each side your timeline will much, much longer than mine.

As promised, this week I will post photos and details for some of the projects I made this summer.  By far the easiest project was the BC/AD timeline to accompany the Elementary History albums.  This took me about ten minutes and I made it with things I had around the house.  Granted, we are a homeschooling family and I have a lot of things around my house other people don't.

You can buy fancier BC/AD timelines a few different places.  



The information provided on those strips or timelines exceed album specifications.  With the exception of the dowels I added (optional extra credit) mine includes only elements specified in the albums.


You can find all of the instructions for how to make and present this material at the blog Montessori Trails. The author, Jessica, is the author of the main set of elementary albums I use:  Keys of the Universe.

I attached the timeline to the dowel first with staples and then put clear packing tape over the top just to be safe.

Remember, you can link up any Montessori primary or elementary materials that YOU make in my "Ultimate Montessori Homemade Materials Collaboration" which can be found in my left-hand sidebar.


Montessori Monday

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I like how you attached it to dowels. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dowels, too! My oldest is making a timeline with her history work this first semester, and I will have to remember the dowels to make it easy to keep it rolled during the long weeks that she has to keep up with it! If you only knew how much I want to just copy every single great idea/project you make, and have to restrain myself for fear of honestly earning the copycat persona! (or, I'll just copy them and deal with it for the sake of the great ideas!!! hahaha)

    ReplyDelete