Monday, October 14, 2013

Botany: Parts of a Leaf


Me Too is showing a off a great big leaf from a Catalpa tree.  We all went on a big hike looking for different kinds of leaves.  We were happy to bring back (among others) a big Catalpa leaf for our live specimen to use during our review of the parts of the leaf.  


The boys made some beautiful leaf rubbings in fall colors.  This was a great time to observe the venation.  


Kal-El made the connection between the veins of the leaf and the veins in his wrists.


I taped a "Parts of a Leaf" control booklet up on the patio doors for the week.


The boys each made their own booklet.





I also gave the "Leaf as Factory" presentation with the impressionistic chart I made


We also used some of the other impressionistic charts for botany last week and have more activities we're doing this week on this topic.  Be sure to check back!








4 comments:

  1. That catalpa leaf is awesome! (and I've already told you I love your leaf chart!)

    We too are getting back into botany - but for the opposite end of the spectrum - now that the sun is more present in our south-facing window, we can grow more seedlings. We can't grow much in the summertime (maintain strong plants, but not actually grow them).

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wait until you see the seed pods from that tree! Amazing!

      Delete
  2. Wow!! I LOVE YOU IMPRESSIONISTIC CHART!!! LOVE IT!! You are an artist!!!! We really enjoy this unit!!!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thanks Karen :) I guess I just needed to find the right medium. I sure DIDN'T feel like an artist when I tried doing it with colored pencils three times in a row and had to throw them all out.

      Delete