Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Detective Adjective Game




Geometry and grammar were flatlined at our house.  I could think of no better way to breath some much needed life into both subjects at the same time than the detective adjective game.


We own both the first and second and third sets of Geometry task cards from ETC Montessori.  One of them (probably the first) included all the cards you needed for the detective adjective game PLUS cardstock triangles.  We didn't need the cardstock triangles because we already had this set of acrylic triangles from iFit.  If you want cardstock triangles you can print them for free at Livable Learning.

ETC divides the cards into eight or nine different groups.  You can see the small label on the bottom left of each card, "Det. Tri. 1" that shows these cards all belong to the first group.  I like that they do that because it makes it easy to return a misplaced card to its proper location.  This group has one command card (top left), three sorting labels (left column), and four cards listing specific triangles to find.  In the first photo at the top of this post Kal-El is working on the first task on the command card, "Sort the triangles in the detective adjective box according to the following labels in this packet."  That is a BIG work and was a great review of the terms isosceles, scalene, and equilateral.


One of the drawers in our big, blue, hardware cabinet holds measurement tools.  Kal-El knew exactly where to go to grab a small ruler.  He sometimes has trouble eyeballing which triangles are isosceles versus scalene.  I can see he also grabbed a carpenter's square to check for right angles.  After the triangles were sorted he found the specific triangles that the cards in the packet asked for.


This is one of our many Geometry shelves.  The detective adjective packets (just social envelopes) are tucked in one of the dollar store nylon bins.  All of our blue nylon bins hold geography (yellow "history," red "zoology," green "biology," etc.,)  Whenever anything is set up with multiple packets in bins like this the boys initial the back of the packet when they have completed an envelope.


Afterward, Kal-El chose one card to record and stow in his "Language" binder.  I asked him why he didn' t use the lines for "isosceles" and he said, "I started out in the lines, but I was looking so hard at the card and not so hard at my paper."  He used the grammar stencil I made.  He doesn't usually color the triangles in, but is addicted to using his new Prismacolor Colored Pencils.  They were my one nod to the typical fall "back-to-school" experience that we have otherwise opted out of.  Our shelves don't change as much as you think they would...at least not all at once.  There are no new backpacks, Trapper-Keepers, pencil boxes, etc.,  BUT this year they each got their own tin box of Prismacolors.  I thought they would get some shelf space in the school room but the boys keep them next to their beds like treasure.  Anyway, they really do work better than regular colored pencils.  I can't begin to tell you how much extra "work" has been done in this house just for the pleasure of using the new colored pencils.

We have more packets to do!  Also, Me Too will likely do this work as well.  He wanted to have Kal-El do it first (while he watched from the wings, mentally "taking notes" and sharpening his own box of colored pencils).



Montessori Monday

1 comment:

  1. I got one box of Prismacolors this year for both kids. Let me just say.... that they have been used so much that some of the pencils are already halfway finished. I now understand why art stores sell the individual pencils! I totally agree with you in that they really do make a big difference. My kids almost always used crayons, but when they started sharpening them to get a pointy tip I knew it was time for Prismacolors. They have used them almost every day since we got them.

    Geometry and language has also flatlined here! Ugh! I think the Great Lessons should bring interest into these areas when I do them. My son is really into history right now. I need to get going on the Second Great Lesson!

    Cristina

    ReplyDelete