Thursday, January 16, 2014

School Days: Grammar, Verb Lesson VI, Hunt the Action; more


One of our language activities this week was from Montessori Research and Development, Language Arts Volume I, "The Verb: VI.  Hunt the action.  I prepared 26 sentences with the noun family written in black and the verb written in red.  Normally the child chooses a sentence, reads it, and "hunts the action" in the classroom.  In the absence of a classroom, the manual suggested hunting the action in a book, Animalia by Graeme Base.  That is indeed the book we used.  It is wonderful and I anticipate using this book again for sentence analysis.


Both boys decided to make booklets of space facts.  They seem to have decided to research the relative temperatures of planets compared to Earth.  I'm not sure, they've been a little secretive about it.  They set out our planet models and earth/moon/sun rotation models.  They were NOT shy about stealing my music stand to prop up their favorite space book for reference while drawing.  They are using a block to hold it open.


I snuck a picture of one of Kal-El's research pages.  I believe the different rings of colors represent different temperatures in the atmosphere of the planet and he has also drawn a shuttle and a space station.  The text reads:  "Saturn 10x colder."


Me Too practiced all of the different spellings of the "oa" sound (long-O) with a game of Pictionary.  I copied suggested words and phrases from the The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading onto index cards.  I laid out five cards at once.  Me Too read all five cards.  I drew a picture on a blank piece of paper.  Me Too guessed which card I was drawing.  I then removed that card and replaced it with a new one.  Above is a photo of two three pages I filled with drawings and some of the cards.

Speaking of The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, Kal-El finally FINISHED IT this week. There was much rejoicing. If you are new to the blog, please note that I don't usually use this resource as intended but rather as a resource.  We've been doing this for at least THREE YEARS and you'll find examples all over the blog.  If you are looking for some examples fast try here and here.


The last few lessons are quite different than the rest of the book.  I took a picture so you could see.  Getting to these lessons made it very clear what our next course of action is now that we are finished:  vocabulary development. Kal-El could easily read most of these words, in fact all of the words on this page.  On other similar pages there were words (superiority, telecommunication, autobiography, environmental) that he didn't know.  Even when he read them correctly he wasn't successful because he kept trying again and again trying to turn them into a word he knew.  He is tickled pink because I told him that when he finished this book he could "read anything in the world" and he is PROUD.  Thanks to the last few lessons, he understands that being able to read something doesn't mean you understand it and he is excited to learn new vocabulary.  He also learned that he Does. Not. Like. how this book broke the words into small syllables.  He found it was much easier to chunk "dramatic" and "ally" than "dra-mat-i-cal-ly."  It's a good skill for when you don't recognize any root words, prefixes or suffixes however.



7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The best project are always top secret :) I can't wait to unveil their other secret project...

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to Kal-El and to you! great going to finish that book. T really needs to work on syllables and those phonogram spelling. All the Dwyer booklets, yeah. He seems to have a pretty good vocabulary though, and understands a lot especially in context, but it is the getting him to give a definition of a word that is tremendously difficult. He just can't verbalize the words to describe the word!
    How do you like your MR&D language manuals? I have a number of them for Primary, that includes all of the language 1-4. But I only have Botany and Geography for elementary. I like the other AMI Elementary albums for language for the most part, but I wish that there was a little bit more about what to do to fill in those gaps in spelling, vocab, and more advanced grammar. Your thoughts? (Oh, BTW, I just purchased the All About Spelling manual to keep track of those "spelling rules" so I, who am a terrible speller and a sight reader, can make sure each child doesn't turn into what I am. I'll let you know how this goes.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the R&D grammar manuals. I received them as hand-me-downs to go with the grammar box contents my friend made. I like have R&D for topics where you have to make lots of filler materials (fraction equations, grammar) because they list everything you need to put on the cards and you don't have to "invent" anything. I like reading, "Here, play this game. Write these 30 words on cards." In general, I'm an AMI girl, but all my creative energy gets used up on other things. When I have to make cards I just want to know what to write down. I just ordered the "sentence analysis" manual from them for the same reason. AMI says something like "provide lots of sentences for them weekly or let them find their own sentences." I know what they are getting at, but I JUST WANT THE LIST OF SENTENCES!

      Delete
    2. Oh goodness I hear you on that last point! I think we are a long way away from Sentence analysis, though I could be wrong with T's keen interest in grammar and how language comes together. It is just so challenging sometime getting the words out of him, getting those thoughts solidified, and formulated, and then out of his brain in words, or written form. We are working with the speech therapist on this, but this part of the auditory processing issues he has is the most challenging and it affects his writing tremendously. Thanks for your tips on the AAS books.
      BTW, when I was making the entire set of pink, blue and green cards, I used the MR&D manuals as a model. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the 'old, gross troll' - how funny! :) Congratulations to Kal-El! :) I love watching when kids get :in: to something and research it on their own - my L.M. did that for so long on one subject, I was sure she would completely exhaust it before it was all said and done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that was the ONE Me Too had trouble guessing. Must be my amazing drawing skills. Way to go L.M.!

      Delete