Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Venn Diagram


This presentation is so NOT pin-worthy.  Bad photo, sloppy execution.  Just plug "Venn Diagram" into Pinterest and you'll get a slew of great ideas for if you are not doing this on the fly like I was.  We are still here, still spending time in the school room as the dust flies around us.  Kal-El has been really enjoying word problems lately and has been burning through the cards in his Word Problem basket.  One of the purposes of the store-bought story problems is that concepts crop up that either aren't in the album or that I've neglected to get to.  We find that this particularly applies to graphing.  Kal-El bumped into a Venn Diagram and didn't know how to read it (Although he laughed after my presentation and after going back to the story problem that the story problem had directions that explained how it worked if he had bothered to read them.  He never reads directions.  He's at that age where he has to learn to read direction and do careful work.  It's a frustrating phase.)

I quickly hacked a piece of printer paper into a circle with some scissors and gave him that circle and one rectangular piece of paper.  I also grabbed a bunch of buttons from our manipulatives drawers.  I didn't explain how the diagram worked and I did not overlap the shapes.  I just asked Kal-El to put the yellow buttons on the rectangle and the circles on the circle.  It wasn't long before he asked, "Wait, what do I do if it is yellow AND a circle."  I asked him to find a way to put the button on both.  He overlapped them himself and was on his merry way.  

This is not particularly impressive, but so often we make Montessori at home into such a BIG DEAL making materials and I wanted to show that it can sometimes be quite simple.

Once Kal-El has a little more practice I can feed his Star Wars obsession with this excellent Venn diagram:




We are making progress in the kitchen.  On Friday two young men came over and installed most of our cabinets.  They are coming back tonight to finish up.  The countertops will be templated on Thursday.  Then we wait.  The wait for countertops is the only "dead time" in our whole remodel.  It will drive me nuts.  I'm very "progress-focused."



12 comments:

  1. Awesome progress on the kitchen!

    And the perfect way to show Venn diagrams! I almost want that droid t-shirt (I am SO not a t-shirt person...) ;)

    I agree with you entirely - so many times we get caught up in having just the perfect material and just the right presentation - sometimes we just need to DO it, with whatever is on hand (and in our heads). Sometimes that even gets to the most "key" teaching too - not time for extras ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a T-shirt person either and I want it too :)

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you said that, because I agree with Jessica - sometimes you just have to make do with what you have. AND we do a lot of that here. A lot of thinking in my head that says "the presentation is supposed to go like this, the point of it being this, so let me take this and this and scrap paper and make the materials right now in front of them and give the presentation. And - it works wonderfully! I love the 'on the fly' presentation on venn diagrams! I also think your kitchen is going to look beautiful, and admire you for going all white - because in my house, montessori or not, white would be so dangerous ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Our kitchen cabinets were white the past three years and we did just fine so I was brave enough to go white again. My husband: "So, we have white cabinets in a u-shaped kitchen and we are remodeling so that we will have white cabinets in a u-shaped kitchen? Me: "yup."

      Delete
  3. Love the Venn Diagram. I was great to see an 'on the fly' presentation. Kudos to you for keeping up with school amid the chaos!

    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The school room is a MESS. It is half-full of displaced kitchen items. I trip a lot but we're still working.

      Delete
  4. Very cool kitchen, and Venn Diagram presentation. When my parents did their counter tops (corian??) it took less than two weeks. That was this spring. No idea how long your wait will be. I am sure it will only feel longer than it really is. :)
    Good to see what you are doing in the classroom. Want to see more!! Especially since we aren't in the classroom right now. We are packed up and out of the house while it is on the market and staying with my in-laws as my husband flies back and forth to the new job. We hope to actually get settled in June sometime. Until then, I NEED to read more Montessori! (My albums are all packed up in a moving cube somewhere in a warehouse in TX. :) Will do you do a final kitchen reveal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! The new counters will be quartz. They were templated yesterday and go in exactly two weeks later. I was hoping that once the counters were in we could do plumber, tile, electrician, boom, boom, boom, but of course the tile guys can't come "that day" and the electrician can't come "this day." boo. I think I have three more weeks without a kitchen sink ahead of me. I can do a final kitchen reveal :) I don't know how many people will care, but if even one cares I'm game.

      I will TRY to do some more Montessori posts. The sub-contractors have been eating up my blogging hours and sometimes I just don't even have power or wireless. However, the next two weeks should be slow while we wait.

      Delete
    2. I am interested in seeing a kitchen reveal :-)

      And yes... must say... I have missed your posts. Your blogging keeps me motivated to keep plugging along!

      Critina

      Delete
  5. I totally understand the I don't want to read directions phase. Finally DJ sees the point after some failed building projects :) We are finally in our wrap up stage of remodeling. Our halt was the first contractor stole from us and walked off with the money. Now I m working on setting up a homeschool area for Ken and DJ in our dining room. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one fantastic venn diagram in a T-Shirt. Its funny, accurate and to the point. Love these types of creative diagramming. That is what us at creately always looking for

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete