Sunday, March 15, 2015

School Days





Me Too working with the sticks after a presentation on consecutive and adjacent line segments. 



We are having a wonderful school year.  I am so happy that we have the freedom to homeschool and live in a state where we can do so without having to waste our time on standardized tests or submitting "work" to a "certified teacher" for a stamp of approval.  We are busy learning!

I have been soaking up the days and living in the moment.  My hands have been busy helping move beads on the racks and tubes boards for not one but two students, participating in the "Bank Game," reading history books and playing "Simón dice" with two boys who need to learn the names of their body parts in Spanish.  I have been drawing right alongside them while we work through our new drawing tutorials.  My hands have been too busy to hold a camera lately.  Today's post will have fewer photos than usual and only of some of our newer works.


Me Too finding the value of the bead tower (KotU Squaring and Cubing, Game Two)


Kal-El building the rectangles for the third squaring and cubing game.


Here he has separated the square of each number at the top and replaced it with a bead square.  The child notes that as the squares increase in size the remaining rectangles decrease in size.  Then you do some computing that involves adding the values of the squares and rectangles and then for some mysterious reason subtract to find the differences between adjacent rectangles.  Then you subtract the differences of adjacent differences.  All of the differences eventually come to "two."  Kal-El pointed out that if you keep going they all come to zero.  You are supposed to stop when you reach the twos.  I don't understand the point of this, but I was educated using traditional math not Montessori math and perhaps don't have the skills to understand why.  Determined that my kids shall not have that problem we did the exercise as in the album.  They didn't seem to be bothered by it.  At any rate, they didn't say "so?" at the end like I did in my head.  Maybe I'll figure out why it's important as we go through the rest of the sequence.  I have been reading through my album and feeling perplexed.  Thankfully Abbie's son is a few lessons ahead of us.  Her pictures and the links to videos she provided have cleared everything up for me.



I tweaked both boys' work plans.  I made myself a work plan, on pink paper, complete with pink paperclips.  Kal-El has started using a work journal.  We are doing a lot of spelling, vocabulary, writing, long division, long multiplication, fractions, Bible study, history, art, geography, and Spanish.   Me Too is barreling through reading presentations as fast as I can present them.  We have done many, many read-alouds.  We recently finished Pollyanna.  Kal-El in particular seems to have found that book to be life-changing.  It was Me Too that I was hoping it would rub off on.   A favorite Me Too quote often repeated by his uncle is, "I don't like fun."  A recent task card asked him to recount a time when he was glad and he said, "I've never been glad."  If anyone could benefit from playing the "glad game" it's THAT KID.  We are listening to A Christmas Carol in the car.  "Bah Humbug" suits Me Too's sensibilities just fine.   We are also in the middle of Little House.  Me Too says he doesn't like it.  Kal-El says they are living his dream life (off the grid). I tried reading that to them a few years ago but had to stop because Kal-El became too upset whenever it told of the children misbehaving.  The boys love the "supplemental literature" suggested for each Story of the World chapter so we have been reading a lot of old fables and fairy tales from India, China, and the Middle East.  This week it will be ancient Africa. We made the recipes provided in SotW for that chapter and they were VERY good.

We have been learning about Mozart and singing "Eine Kliene Nachtmusik." It is "performance" season around here.  The boys have been busy playing recitals and music festivals.  Every time I try to record them for the blog we have some kind of musical disaster.  I guess their talents are meant to remain private for now.  In the meantime, I'll keep trying.  In addition to the violin Kal-El has been experimenting with the trumpet and played taps at the end of the cub scout Blue and Gold dinner in February.  The boys have been busy with their dad building their cars for the Pinewood derby.    Kal-El scored his first basket in a basketball game in the last game of the season.



I'll end with a little clip from the "boy who doesn't like fun" and "has never been glad."  Wink.




10 comments:

  1. There is no direct connection in the math albums for the patterns - it is about helping the children discover there ARE patterns in math and to be on the look-out for them.

    Beautiful singing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Phew! I'm glad I wasn't just unable to understand it. That's great :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and thank you for the singing compliment. He doesn't have a particular talent for singing, but I enjoyed how much he means it when he sings it :)

      Delete
  2. It really warms my heart to hear you so happy and content with your homeschooling. I will gladly accept less pictures on the blog to know your are in such a good place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool singing video. My kids LOVED it. They kept asking whether it was Me Too or Kal-El singing.

    Glad to know that the videos were helpful. I am always thinking that you guys are leagues ahead of us in all areas.

    The kids were working with the geo sticks for the first real time and pretty much made the perimeter of the room. Could have used pipecleaners....

    And a standing ovation for Kal-El, taps is NOT an easy one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a happy post! We are so blessed to be able to what we do. It is such a joy to walk this road with them. (most days ;) ) Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I ask what drawin program yore using? I'm on the lookout for one....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.howgreatthouart.com/products/3-10/i-can-do-all-things.html

      Delete
  6. Wow, love this!! This just made my day!! Thank you for sharing. I'm still a fan of your blog just life has been throwing different storms our way. But through it all we are still homeschooling. Your family rocks!,

    ReplyDelete