Monday, September 19, 2016

Haiku

One of our best hours spent last week was spent writing and illustrating haiku.  This was suggested as part of our Story of the World work.  We are in the Middle Ages and just finished a section on China, Korea, and Japan.  The methodology suggested worked REALLY well.  Using their method we were each able to compose a haiku successfully in just a few minutes.  The activity book gave us the rules.  We needed three lines, 5 syllables, 7 syllables,  and 5 syllables respectively.  We had to choose a season first.  Our topic had to be natural (no summer at the beach referring to plastic buckets and rocket pops).  We were to choose a topic and describe a specific moment, not try to tell a story.  Then, and this was the most successful suggestion, we were supposed to brainstorm words that came to mind regarding that topic and that moment.  This made it really easy to write the haiku.  Some of the brainstormed words clearly combined to form an idea.  Also, it was easy to conform to the syllable limitations because if a word was too long or too short you could just scan your brainstormed list to choose a suitable replacement of the appropriate length.  


Above is Kal-El's haiku.  While Me Too and I wrote a rough draft that we later rewrote to add to our illustration, Kal-El wanted his to be "secret" and wrote it for the first time on his illustration.  So, I was unable to correct his spelling before he wrote it down.  It reads:

Out springs the tulips,
Where the morning dew shines bright
And bees pollinate.  

-Kal-El


Above is Me Too's haiku.  It helps to know that Me Too is allergic to mosquito bites.  They swell up just awful.  Photographic evidence:


His haiku reads:

Bats eat mosquitos.
They are fluffy and furry.
That is why I like them.

-Me Too

He means that he likes bats because they eat mosquitos.  He was inspired to write about bats because he noticed I was writing about mosquitos.  Just for kicks, my haiku is below.



The mosquito glides,
Creepy little legs dangling.
Sweaty skin awaits.

- Mom

I tried to draw a mosquito aloft above sweaty skin but, as Me Too points out, the sweaty skin look more like an eyeball...equally creepy.



7 comments:

  1. Those are awesome!! How long did it take for the boys to illustrate? They are very good illustrations too!

    Love the mosquito context. Poor Me-Too. I think it is too hot here for mosquitoes. He should come visit. Unless it is already too cold for them where you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that photo of his eye awful? We spent about one hour on this activity total. Maybe a bit less. It is PRIME mosquito season here. Kal-El and I were eaten alive last Monday. We have to keep Me Too indoors at dusk or covered in deet. During the day it is fine in our location. At our old house mosquitos would get so bad they'd be beating against the outside of the house even at noon. I'll tell him about your locale and the lack of mosquitos. They have been asking me about the scorpions there a lot lately. They might not think it's a fair trade (even though I told them I didn't see any. They asked me if I checked my shoes every morning and they were appalled when I said "no.")

      Delete
    2. Isn't that photo of his eye awful? We spent about one hour on this activity total. Maybe a bit less. It is PRIME mosquito season here. Kal-El and I were eaten alive last Monday. We have to keep Me Too indoors at dusk or covered in deet. During the day it is fine in our location. At our old house mosquitos would get so bad they'd be beating against the outside of the house even at noon. I'll tell him about your locale and the lack of mosquitos. They have been asking me about the scorpions there a lot lately. They might not think it's a fair trade (even though I told them I didn't see any. They asked me if I checked my shoes every morning and they were appalled when I said "no.")

      Delete
    3. An hour isn't bad. The art work looks so professional.

      Ohh!! Let me see if I can drum up another one of those stinging insects of awfulness. I am sure the kids would like to put something together to send along. It's been a while.
      I am thinking there may be a few mosquitoes here at dusk, but it is usually so hot out at dusk that aren't outside anyway. My car thermometer at 8pm the other day said 92.
      If you had come at the right time, you could have checked your shoes for those horrible flying tree roaches.

      Delete
  2. I know you are so busy and figuring out a new rhythm. But in case you have found your bounce and have a moment.... :) I have read thru all your grammar posts and looked at all the many links. I wondered if you have any opinion on Waseca Grammar? It seems very simple and straight forward. I can't find any reviews on it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! I just wanted to let you know that we featured you in a list of 100 best Homeschooling blogs. You can find our article at the following link:

    http://healthymomsmagazine.net/2016/09/top-100-homeschooling-blogs.html

    We would appreciate it if you shared this with your readers, followers and fans. Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete