Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Who IS this and where is MY son?

I never see Kal-El between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and 6 a.m.  That is because he is asleep.  I don't have to go into his room because he's "making noise."  He doesn't wake up scared.  Very rarely has he woken up sick, and if so he is usually only awake briefly.

Last night Daddy put him to bed at 7, went to work in the basement and realized around 8:30 he was still up.  He was still up at 9.  Around 10:00 returned home from browsing at the bookstore and he was still awake and yelling for "Mommy."  When I asked him what was wrong he said he was "sick, too sick for sleeping."  We couldn't get him to describe what was sick exactly so we decided to have him come into bed with me and Daddy would couch it for the night.  Kal-El wrestled around for 30 minutes.  Occasionally he said "ow! ow! ow!"  When I asked him what hurt he said "my finger."  He has been complaining about a hangnail for a couple of weeks and demanding band aids with pictures on them.  After a while he decided he wanted to sleep next to my bed on the floor.  He wrestled around on the floor for another 30 minutes and then announced that "it's not night time anymore.  It's not time for sleeping, it's time for playing."  

I decided at that point that he was fine and should go back to his own bed.  After that, he screamed as if he were the lead actress in a horror flick for about five hours.  He screamed when he was in his bed, he screamed when he was out of his bed, he screamed in my bed, he screamed in the "floor bed."  He said he just wanted to go to the family room and play.  He would go back to bed for 20 minutes and then start shrieking again and say he had to go potty.  I would put him on the potty and he complained it wasn't the "right" potty and he never did actually go.  He completely wet his diaper at least three times.  I changed his pajamas several times because they were soaked with sweat.  He never felt warm so I assume this was from screaming.

At about 3 a.m. I took him to the family room, tossed him on top of his sleeping father and told him to "take him before I kill one of us."  He fell asleep on Daddy's lap within five minutes.  Daddy put him in bed 20 minutes later.  He screamed for another 20 minutes, slept for an hour and woke up screaming again.  Then he slept for another hour.  My husband and I both decided he was most likely acting up because he was coming off of a weekend spent with his grandparents.  At their house he sleeps in a bed on the floor next to my Mom and has been getting away with a couple hours of socializing before actually going to sleep.

He was up bright and early (as usual) but clingy, whiny, and naughty.  I put him down very early for his afternoon nap (noon) because he needed to make up some sleep.  On a whim I took his temperature to see if I couldn't come up with a reason for his "new personality."  104 degrees!  He still did not actually feel warm.  

Of course I felt terrible.

He saw the doctor after his nap and she found the likely suspect...his first ear infection...right away.  

Today has been a much better day.  He still has a low-grade fever, but his personality is back to normal.  At any rate, if you were wondering why I'm having another light blogging week, now you know.  


  1. Ugh, I've done this sort of thing before too, especially since my kids rarely get ear infections.

    Hope he feels better soon! And that everyone gets more sleep!


  2. You poor thing! Nights like that are so hard. I am glad that you figured out the cause though so your poor little guy can get to feeling better now!